Mucho Nitrate, no ammonia or nitrite - what's happenning?

ormali

Just tested the 4ft tank after my betta lady looked a bit off colour - we have a major nitrate problem - off the scale problem. It is redder than the test cards cater for :P

Everything else in the water is fine - no ammonia at all, no nitrates, PH is 6.5. Tank is very heavily planted and has lots of floating plants. Has quite a high fish stock level but has always done so and coped well.

Any ideas as to what caused this? Water was fine when I tested not this last weekend but the one before. Tank has been up and running for over 6 months now.

Help? Did a 60% water change last night and the nitrate is still through the roof.

Fish seem to be coping and my plants are growing very nicely but I dont think we want this to continue.

Thanks in advance.

This may sound silly, but test some bottled water as well. Your test kit may have gone off? Otherwise it's water changes to correct but with a steady cycled system there shouldn't have been such a spike. When's the last time you did maintenance on your filter?

This may sound silly, but test some bottled water as well. Your test kit may have gone off?

That was my thought, or perhaps a bit of contamination in your testtubes? GIve them a thourough rince in the sink, then fill, shake and discard 2 or 3 tubes full of the tank water you are going to test.

Also test the water your putting in (as per sharkey's post), something might have contaminated it.

HTH

JJ