brown algae

radu

Hi could someone please let me know if brown algae is okay. I have recently had some on my tank and have scraped it off with a glass magnetic cleaning thing for tanks. But it does seem to come back, Don't know if it helps to let you know that the nitrates in my tank are around 20

thks

Nitrates in tank being 20 would be a cause for lots of problems, brown algae being one of them. How often do you do water changes? If you have a healthy tank with regular weekly 20% water changes and a few algeae eaters to clean the glass, you won't even need to scrape the tank anymore.

what kind of algae eaters can I get for a goldfish tank? also, what kind of symptoms can my fish display from having this algae present in the tank. I did a 10 litre water change in the morning and tonight just because i noticed that my fish seem to be lethargic one is sitting at the bottom of the tank a lot looking kinda depressed. I put some aquarium salt in just in case they are feeling off colour. Should I do some more water changes tonight do you think?

Hi Radu,

It maybe there is not enough light on the tank.

I got over this problem by letting sunlight get to the tank for about an hour a day, and green algae was established and the brown algae disappeared.

Or otherwise get a closer or stronger light source.

Good luck, Davejey :)