Questions questions questions....

gac

Hi to all, saw this really cool looking loach in a pet shop & they had no clue what it was, I did some online investigation & found he was a yoyo loach who would be quite happy in my tank (consisting of angels, jewels & a big pleco...) As the pet shop had no clue what he was, they charged me $20 - was I ripped off? He is about 10cms long & they do have another I would like to get because this one is very amusing. Also, purchased some "mystis" cats several weeks ago - they are still in hiding - this seems a very long time?

Cheers

Garry

If you were happy paying that price for it.

No,

You weren't ripped off.

Not IMO anyway.

What would you say if I told you that I got four for that?

Rant and rave??

I bet !!

But if I said "Have they got any more??

Go back and buy them they are normally $50."

Would you go back to the LFS and say

"Um, excuse me,I think you have made a mistake with the pricing of that fish I got off you. Do you want to check?"

Bet ya wouldn't.

So be happy that you have a lovely loach.

By the way,

welcome to the site, may even see you in chat one evening about 9ish

Alan 104

Hey Gary,

We got a large yo-yo with a tank we bought off TradeMe that sounds about the same as yours. Interesting character and so amusing we went out and got two more to keep him company. The two little ones (about 3cm when we bought them) cost us $15 each so $20 for a 10cm one is a good deal.

Things to watch out for - they have a small spike under each eye that can leave a nasty cut if you get caught. They're a social creature that enjoys having the company of other loaches, though you won't see much interaction with smaller yo-yos until they get a bit bigger. They also have no scales so are succeptable to white spot. Just treat with white spot cure and you'll be fine.

Another interesting bit of trivia - they're called yo yo loaches because if you look at the pattern on the side of the loach you'l make out (possibly with some imaginiation) Y O Y O....

Welcome to the site and hope to see you in the chat room around 9pm!

Blue and Kim

I bought a couple of Yo-Yo's around 5cm for about $15 ea so for a 10cm one, that is good value. They seem to get on well with Striata and Queen loaches. Going to have a 4ft loach tank soon as they have great character and are a few types available, be weary of the Burmese Tiger Loach as one a mate bought chased the heck out of his clown loaches, it's now in a 450ltr with Severums, Jewels, Convicts and a couple of Oscars and even thought it is a lot smaller than these still gets a lot of respect for some reason.

Thanks muchly for your reples, looks like I may trot back to get the other then. This one does seem to enjoy teasing the pleco. Have been keeping tropical fish for some years now, just always had a community tank with platys, guppies, swords etc, just decided to have a bit of a change!

So... if you have any ideas/good advice what to put with my guys (or not to put as I found out with the neons tetras!) that would be appreciated. I have 5 angels, a pair of jewel ciclids, 1 tinfoil barb, a few bronze cats & pleco. These guys are all young & looks like I may move to bigger tank soon.

Thanks again

Garry