Albino Gardneri Eggs Hatching

malawi_man

anything i can feed until the bbs hatch?? (i will start the bbs up now) would microworms be as good as bbs?? i dont have any at the moment but i could gets some (anyone have a spoonful or so of mixture for me??) are the alright in a little container?? for a while?? how big does it need to be??

It will take you 24 hrs to get the BBS ready for feeding out.

Yes micro worm is ok, but I seldom use it.

One, it settles on the bottom in comparison with the BBS that stays in the water column and is a natural for the babies to hunt and eat.

If you haven't got any MW ready, you are miles too late.

What you get, is what is called, "a starter culture".

It is not ready for feeding till the lot is writhing and climbing up the containers side.

So get one for back up.

Once you have the MW going, set up a couple more, as sometimes they just die off so rapidly that you have to get backinto begging mood again.

But get into the BBS. NOW

If you have any java moss and/or riccia, put that in with the babies.

They'll pick amongst it all day, and get food from it.

A small container?

haven't you heard what I use??

Do you know the size of a matchbox??

Well that is the size I use, not too many babies at a time, but almost 100% water change each day, and the food is in their face so that they don't have to waste energy hunting for it.

A snail or two for cleaning duties too.

I use what is termed a bench-tidy.

What perhaps your Dad has in the shed to store small things such as screws etc.

As they grow, increase the size of the container.

Alan 104

Hi kribkrazy,

you didn't say how small your little container is , if it is the size of the salald pots at a supermarket then there fine as long as you keep the water clean and free of rotting food.

I wouldn't keep them in a container longer then a week before moving them on to a grow out tank .

Albino gardneri are a good sized killi and need space to grow well.

As to will they take microworms , yes they will and there a good food BUT not as good as bbs, have 2 setups if you have the room feed 1 microworms and the other bbs, you will see the differance quit quickly :wink:

good luck the albino's are a lovely killifish red on white always stands out

well a guppy jumped into the container (it is floating in the tank) and ate all but one of the fry :evil: :evil: angry angry angry

the container is about 10cm diameter and a few cm of water in it. still some eggs to hatch though, do you float yours in the tank alan?? hot water cupboard?? bbs are up and running, i will stick in a bit of java mos for them to pick off, so matchbox size aye?? pretty small :-?

Oh Gutting - Mate of all the things that could get you that one would really #^%@ you right round the bend - commiserations. Grab that guppy and turn it inside out :-? I can bring you some mw to the club meeting next sunday - let me know if your coming and I'll set you up a culture tommorow which will be rearing to go by then.

I seldom float anything in tanks except fish.

But then I hope they aren't floating.

I have over 50 tanks, so I can pick and choose.

NOTE

I have the babies in their own containers in a drawer

The room is heated, NOT the tanks.

Number ONE Rule of a Killiphile

I will keep my tanks (containers) COVERED at ALL TIMES

Alan 104

i read somewhere (killies.com i think) that baby killies dont jump, is this true?? alan would hot water cupboard be ok?? the only thing would be that for water changes the temp would be different. my fishroom not heated like yours, just normal tank heaters is quite arm, warmer than room temp. i will see what temp it is later on.

Babies can't jump, but guppies can. mmmmmmm

Yeah nothing wrong with the hotwater cupboard as long as Mum doesn't bury them or you tip water onto clothes or linen in there.

How warm is your house??

Temp. first thing in the morning is the coldest.

It maybe ok to leave them on top of your tanks.

Have your water for water changes, stored in the vacinity of your babies.

The water will then be the same temp.

Alan 104