New Discus Set Up

Faran

I know this should be in the Member Tank section, but this is a freshwater tank and wanted to see what people think.

The tank is an AR980 and has 3 bulbs and filter in the hood, all integrated. We also have a Fluval 204 for added filtration. The Discus belonged to Suphew, who recently broke down his 4 foot Discus tank and I got a majority of the bits to set this tank up.

The three Discus are from him, and he's raised them beautifully. The largest is a "Blue Turk" (looks about the size of a dinner plate), followed by a "Marlboro Red", and then a much smaller brown heckle (half the size of the larger ones). While there's a bit of dispute about the colour variations of the larger ones, they're still amazing and very graceful and we're proud parents.

The plants and driftwood are all from Suphew as well... as well as the aforementioned Fluval.... so we basically just took over the whole setup and tossed it in the AR980 and it's an amazing setup.

So, enough rattling on, here's the tank and specs:

DiscusTank01.jpg

Full view shot of the tank and setup.

DiscusTank03.jpg

Tank and stand - note the four fish lined up.... They cruise the tank like this often and it's fun to watch.

Discus01.jpg

Close up shot of the two large ones, but the large blue turk is returning back to normal colouration without stress bars.

Discus02.jpg

Close up shot of the smaller heclke and a bit of the marlboro red.

So what do you think? I know, the angel has to go...

Thanks. When things grow out a bit more the equipment that's still visible will be hidden. I was lucky to get wood that laready had Java and Xmas moss on it, and the plants were moved in big mats, so very easy to plant in.

Snowman - here's a pic of some of the GBAs I got from you. They're doing great and have fun "tail wrestling" which I hear is normal behaviour.

Courgette01.jpg

Yeah - get a bigger tank :lol:

Any way of raising the water level so it can't be seen? It is just a personal preference of mine to not be able to see the water level (unless of course it is only half full as a paludarium) - especially if the floor or stand is slightly uneven :wink:

• 2 weeks later...

And after seeing your new website, I'll be asking soon about getting some "spare adults" and moving the smaller discus to another tank with similar sized discus (different sized discus REALLY don't belong together - they chase a lot).so might have to put up some more pics soon!

I've found that my Breading size Discus are alot more settled when they have younger Discus with them even down to 20cent size they all get on great may be the number of fish you have in the tank migth be causing the problem of chasing. They live in big groups apart from breeding in there natural river systems. Currently have 3 full grown, 5 six month olds and 2 2-3 month olds together.

That is a lyretail cichlid. We originally had three but two passed for no apparent reason and now we have just one in a 10 gallon tank by itself. Just a note of warning- there's a few different kinds of "lyretail cichlid" and some are fine in a community tank.... this isn't one of them. How to tell? The "nice" one has a sideways "T" on the cheek/gill, and the others don't. These ones have two lines that make a "||" and are VERY agressive to smaller fish.

Umm... nuff expaining, let me show you pics....

Left - Neolamprologus Brichardi - nice community fish... Right - Our fish - not so nice....

neo_brichardi_milima.jpgneo_pulcher_daffodil.jpg