What type of gear for this Hex tank?

Phillz

OK so I bought another tank....... :roll:

It is a Hex, 900mm tall and around 440mm wide (have no idea how I'm gonna clean it.

It's still in Auckland at my mums place, so haven't actually seen it yet.

Anyway was wonder what type of filter would suit this tank.....what should I keep an eye out for?

I'm not in any hurry to set it up, so can take my time gathering the items needed.

Also ideas on heaters and lighting please........would underwater lighting do any good on a tank this deep?

Looks very tall like you said - You can get the long handled algae scrapers to keep the glass keen - Or some suckermouths.

I reckon if you can afford it get an external canister filter with an inbuilt heater - I think eheim have this option- Theres two less things that need to be in the tank - Also it be grouse if there was a hole drilled near the bottom of the tank at the back to take the intake for the filter. You'll need silicone and proper threaded fittings inside and outside the tank. Then you could have the return bar on the top and the intake at the bottom without any hoses to be seen inside the tank. Do you have a hood and Cabinet? Maybe consider discus, or some other type of large round fish.

Maybe cause its so deep forget about plants and use bogwood and rocks. Might not need any lighting then - can go towards your thermo canister filter. :P

You could not put discus in that tank it is not big enough. That pair of angels of yours would look good though :wink:

I would suggest undergravel filter or external canister. The trouble with heater/filter combos is that if one part dies (and I gather they do) you have a problem with having to replace one or the other components. A heater would fit nicely in one of the back angles with long vallis planted in front to cover it. You can also put in a deep bed of gravel without it looking odd, due to the depth.

Nice tank! I have an octagonal about half that size. *runs to measure it*

It's about 650mm tall :) And a PITA to do anything with lol. Trying to fill it up with gravel, plants etc was a mission as my arms were barely long enough to reach the bottom.

I did have my goldfish in it but have decided to put some tropicals in. Nothing in it as yet, but I have a heater on one of the back panels and some sort of internal filter.

390202555YhGbEf_ph.jpg

Hopefully that works!

It is recommended you get at least 6 discus then see if any pair up. If you have a pair then they would fit in it but IMHO they would not look their best in a tank that shape, it would not do them justice.

Perhaps I am just biased as I am not a great fan of hex tanks :-?

Yup thats the tank off trade me.........I put an autobid on it and forgot.....got it for $40.

I'm not really keen on discus (yet :roll: )

So, guessing that my angels have a new home coming up........not sure what I could put with them.

Thanks for all the help so far.

I have a tank the same size and its a pain to clean. Mine has also sprung 3 leaks now 2 of which i repaired and the 3rd was enough to make me scrap it altogether. Im starting to think with the hieght and size of the thing theres just to much water pressure on to many panes of glass.

Incidently i had 6 Discus in mine.

Wow...that is one tall tank!

I can't wait to see it all set up. Wouldn't one of those magnetic algae scrappers be good for cleaning a tank such as yours? I haven't tried them yet but have heard they are good...anybody try them or use them?

Why is a tall tank so suitable for angels?

The angel shape is tall and they are a still fish. Other fish are better in longer tanks as they zip about and need room to move, whereas angels serenely glide and will not bash their nose against the end panels due to lack of length.

WARNING WARNING WARNING

Phillz, have you thought why you were able to get that tank so cheaply??

I'll give you a reason why I think you did.

Based on my own experience too.

I have a hex of 550 across and 600 high.

I was admiring my community setup one day, and I noticed a small leak develop.

I got some glue onto my fingerand smeared it over the offending area, but to no avail, it gradually got worse,

and as I stood there thinking what the heck I could do to get out of this predicament, while holding it from going.

But my efforts were in vain, the whole panel just opened like a door,

I have never seen a tank mt so quickly.

The force almost swept me of my feet, and other then getting soaked from my chest down I was ok.

The fish?? I lost only two, one I stood on in the great flood, the other was washed behind some boxes in the shed (my man's shed).

There was some rapid work entailed and due to the fact that I always have spare tanks somewhere, I was able to save the rest of the fish.

I ended up stripping it right down and rebuilding it, with extra bracing on the top and inside the bottom.

The moral of the story is, set it up in a shed or garage.

Check your insurance policy, or completely break the tank down and start again.

If one joint is failing the rest are past their use-by-date as well.

You could also use it as a planatarium.

but DON'T fill it inside until you have really tested it.

Good luck.

Alan 104

WARNING WARNING WARNING

YUP......I know it has a leak......but it was one of those......I bid on it then forgot about it :roll:

So......I will check it out when I eventually get it, & follow your advice and fill it outside ........the good thing is that I'm in no hurry (this time round LMAO)

Thanks very much for the story :hail:

• 5 weeks later...

How about frogs?

I was thinking of putting a partition in the middle....from side to side and fill the front with water to a depth of around 200mm. The back could be planted with nice plants?

What do you think?

Anyont got any tadpoles?