What return pumps people use? and how much?

Anthony

These pumps are all great but remember you have to size your overflow to your pump volume otherwise if your pump is to big for your overflow then you'l be moping up the water off the floor.

here's a site that calculates it for you just put your pumps water volume in as gallons and click submit.

http://www.reefcentral.com/calc/drain.php

Robert

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anthony, I'll do you a favour and sell you my Eheim 1060 for $120. I was going to keep it for emergencies but I could do with the money right now. PM me if you are interested. This will be perfect return pump for your size tank. Otherwise, if you get Iwaki you will have to pay money on things like bulkhead fittings, ball valves etc as well. Not at all saying Iwaki is bad - in fact they rock, but if you want a cheaper alternative let me know

I have a new laguna up6 for sale, this is the same as the powerjet 5000 that ira uses, but doesnt come with the pond attachments etc

Does about 6500l/hour at zero head

This is what i use on my sump so do many others, it returns water to tank, plus feeds my Ca reactor, plus feeds my zeovit reactor and it also feeds my fluidised bed reactor filled with rowaphos.

Ben

Jansens got some real cheap skimmers on special. i just got a aquamedic air drive skimmers for $40.

Ok for small tank, air driven skimmers using a airstone , they produce very small bubbles so you will get good skimming out of it.

for $40 you cant go wrong as they were reduced from $350.

They are selling items that they wont be selling again as they are not big sellers.

They also are clearing all the seachem test kits. i got a few at $7 reduced from $50.

i got modern reef aquarium vol 4 for $20 odd, was selling at $160.

Hi Ira, if your after a peristaltic pump i've just got an OEM manufacturers catalogue today from the UK. I've been looking into them for my controller.

They ship samples, and being OEM parts they should be cheap (as far as peristaltic go). What sort of mL / hr are you after? I may be able to get you a good price.

Layton

If you could get me one for like $40, hehehe.:) Would be nice for kalk dosing. But I don't want to spend the money on it. Probably something like 200ml/hr would be heaps. Could probably get one for marinedepot for $150...Woah, dollar's gone way down since the last time I looked.:(

Anthony, when you say 306.1 watts, what is that ? The pump wattage ?

If so then thats regardless, you need to take into consideration the head height, i.e the top of your sump water level to the top of your tank then figure out what pymp you need.

You also need to take into consideration, your over flow size (how much room you need for plumbing etc ) and your pipe size. Use a smaller pipe ie 20mm for your return and bigger pipe 25mm for your inlet to the sump.

I think for a tank your size a powerjet 2000 or 3000 will do very nicely as long as your head hieght isnt huge ie over 2m