My Elephant Nose Fish Is DEAD (nooooooooooooo)

dee_jay_01

Hey all i'm in the blues today, my elephant nose has died, we just treated our tank for white spot on my Clown Loaches which I think I will get rid of as it's the second time in one month that they have had it, bloody things excuse the above, he was swimming around just fine this morning but about 6pm ish EST he was dead no reason no sign of distress or any white spot on him its only on my Clown Loaches and Widow Tetras.

He was my favorite fish aswell he was my first in my tank and my most prized, he was the best looking one I have ever seen, Jet Black in colour no scaring just pure, not like some I have seen recently at my LFS one in particular was extremely thin and the LFS said it wasn't eating but not willing to do anything to do anything to help it (eg. quarantine) I felt like hitting him, but I held my restraint and walked out of the shop.

Has anyone got any natural remidy's for white spot on clown loaches as I 'm ready to flush them, even my partner doesn't want them anymore as she sees the trouble in them.

Clown loaches are very susceptible to white spot if water conditions are not to their liking,or good quality. Have you checked your pH, ammonia, nitrites and nitrates? I suspect poor water quality.

Are elephant noses one of the scaleless fish? If so, I don't think they cope with white spot meds.

Sorry to hear about your fish loss. They're some crazy looking fish. I'm just gonna say a bit about whitespot treatment, as there seems to be a few different opinions out there. Our LFS told us, they had no whitespot, but all of our fish had come from the one shop, and everything else in there had been sitting for 3 days before we put in the first fishy. A staff member at Animates claimed to have told our LFS owner that there was whitespot in their(LFS) tanks, and that's why they had no gravel in most of their(LFS) tanks. I'm inclined to agree as they use the same nets for all their tanks and put them all in the same box together anyway.

You may not have gotten rid of the parasite on the first treatment. this can result in a parasite that is more immune to the treatment.We dosed our tank for three times the recommended length of time and did 10%-20% water changes everyday using our syphon to vacuum the gravel. It finally got rid of the whitespot and I'm of the opinion that these parasites are introduced, as they are parasites and need a host to live off. Without a host, they will (supposedly) die off within 48hrs. We also dosed our tank at full strength instead of half, as we were advised, due to the fact that the melachite green in the treatment was supposedly bad for our clownies. They are all fine, although perhaps it didn't agree with your elephant nose?

My partner was a vet nurse and part of her training covered parasites and their life cycles. Apparently, the spots drop off, form cysts in the gravel, on plants and on ornaments, then burst open after 48hrs and "swimmers" come out looking for a host. Clown loaches and other scaleless fish are very susceptible. The "swimmer" stage is when they can be killed by treatment, so the water needs to be treated for the duration as well as at least two - three to be safe - days after all signs of whitespot have dissappeared. To speed up this process the water temp can be upped to around 28deg C (OK for clownies, don't know about most other fish), although we left ours at 27deg. BTW we have gouramis, a plec, and neons in there too. The loaches seemed to be the least phased by all the treatment and infestation.

Does your whitespot treatment have Quinine in it? This is very good for preventing secondary infections. Our treatment also had acriflavine in it, not sure what that's for. Oops, I seem to have written a novel.

Anyway, cheers,

Vapo.

Why does your nitrite go up when you do a water change? This shouldnt happen, you new water should have no nitrite or nitrate in it. The reason for changeing the wtaer is to remove the nitrate that has built up at the end of the nitrogen cycle. Also if you filter is working corrrectly you shouldn't ever have any measurable nitrite

Maybe you should post what your parameters are, "acceptable" doesn't really help much, plus some things arent normally toxic can be toxic if other levels are out for exaple when your PH goes up even small amounts of amonia because toxic.

In a cycled tank

Amonia = 0

Nitrite = 0

nitrate no more then 20-30ppm