Pet Shops

@ndrew

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought a large Discus off a guy in Tawa and while I was there found a little pet shop. I thought the prices in that shop were great. I will be going back at some stage soon. Discus etc in there were at prices well worth the drive down and still saving money. I like going to Animates just to look at the tank setup. I like the look of tanks each one slightly lower than the next so the water goes from one tank to the next but I wouldnt contemplate it just in case 'nasties' got transferred from one tank to the next. Still, neat loo though.

I would have to agree in Animates their tanks set up is excellent – great to look at while in the shop. I have been in the shop several times and I have found the staff unknowable and not incomprehensible. They are very friendly and great salespersons, but not that knowable. I have wondered if they have them commercially maintained.

Once when my tank had the parasite Nematodes I went and asked if what this worms was, at the time I didn’t know what they where. They didn’t have a clue!

I found out the next time I went to my vet!

I have found the same thing. Most people in pet shops etc are just there to make sales. Some shops have knowledgable people but not often.

I find that this forum is the best place to get information you need. Then just go to the shop and get what you need. You are then armed with information and wont get stuff you dont need and waste money. Worse still you wont get the wrong information and end up killing you fish like what happened to my mother!! Lost all her fish but one which is now residing in my community tank. She lost heart and now wont have a tank in her house. :cry:

well... i cant say for wellington... but animates in chch dont have very knowledgable staff... they might have a goldfish tank at home... or a small tropical with a couple of fish.... but experts they are not... pet world, fish tank and organism in chch however... have quite knkowledgable ppl there... u have to know who to talk to though...

another thing with animates that annoys me recently is the staff are getting very pushy... it used to be good when they were friendly... now they keep trying to sell u stuff u dont need... first thing they ask when u get in... is what pet u have...and they will keep trying to sell u stuff for ur pet u dont need at all... and they dont leave u alone...

on the other hand...when i go to animates looking to buy something... none of the staff is ever free to serve me... i had to wait half an hour when i wanted to get my oscar... and when me and my girlfriend wanted to get a small kennel for her puppy we waited for more than an hour... I try not to give them business any more...

Find me somewhere that they pay enough for retail work to hire someone that actually knows much. I don't know what exactly they pay at Animates, but I was talking to Jamie(The guy that used to breed fighters) and they don't make much more than $9 an hour. Pretty pathetic pay for a job that's a lot of work like that one.

I agree which a lot what Richard stated in his post. I think we all had high hopes when Animates first opened, because it was different from the traditional corner pet shop.

I have notice the gold fish breeder in Lower Hutt (Goldfish Varieties Water plants and lilies) has started up again. It closed down around 7 years ago when the former owner/operator died.

I got my first fishes from there around 9 years ago and I have still got them now! They were very reasonably priced and extremely busy.

The address of the breeder follows:

Goldfish Varieties Water plants and lillies (2001)

80 Pharazyn Street

Lower Hutt

Wellington

Ph: 04 5868188

I would like to hear has anyone been there since it has re-opened, or was anyone a former customer; like me.

I personally do not like people using this site to call for boycotts of particular shops. If you have an issue with them, go and talk to them personally and voice your concerns in a pleasant manner. If you do not wish to patronise their business it is your right but calling for boycotts is counter productive and not what this site is for.

I have to agree Caryl. Instead of saying things here maybe you could go to the SPCA etc and get them involved. I hate to think any animals is suffering. Lots of people say things but then dont want to get involved so the poor animals carry on being in bad conditions etc.

Just think of how good you would feel if you instigated something that changed the fishes enviroment (hopefully for the better of course!)

Over the years I have been involved in a number of animal 'resuces'. Ranging from horses and ponies to dogs etc. My Labrador I had for 15 years was a rescue dog I saved from terrible conditions. She gave me years of love and affection that only an animal that has been through so much can. It gives you such a good warm feeling to help something, be it fish or horse! People only get angry etc when they are in the wrong or ignorant. In the end the peoples attitudes dont bother me as it is the animals I care about. People go on and hopefully change but only we can change an animals life for the better. My opinion anyways :D

I didn’t mean to offend anyone – but businesses exist to make money. If shops are not making money since a lack of business and custom the shop will try to improve its self – in many ways. It’s just basic economics.

I was only expressing my personal opinion (which is my right); I wasn’t forcing people too agree with it – just raising the issue about a huge fish in a tank, which I think is not suitable for that animal.

A past post raised the issue about contacting an organisation such as the SPCA – I don’t believe the SPCA would be able to achieve a lot: The SPCA has tried to improve living conditions for animals used in businesses for years:

Examples:

‘Battery’ Hens

I and thousands of New Zealanders have complained to the organisations, companies and a parliamentary select committee (I was taking it up personally with the people concerned) about the conditions these animals are kept in. But they (the animals) are and will continued to be kept in these conditions. The only way we the general public can stop the companies who use these methods is to vote which our wallets. Don’t support them! The consumer is the most powerful in companies (believe it or not).

Sow Stalls (pigs)

Again nothing has changed – pigs are and will continued to be in sow stalls.

Circus Animals

We have still got an African elephant, lions, and monkeys, driven around the country with chains around their hind feet and are kept caged, and/or tethered.

Above are all situations where I believe animals miss-used and many organisations and a government departments have been involved. But sadly the animals are still and will continue to be used like this until their death.

I could go in the shop till the day of my and the animal’s death and complain about the way this fish is treated. I am certain nothing would improve for the animal. Because the business is still doing what a business is there to do. Make money. The reason they are making moneys because the public is still supporting them (and that’s their right).

I was only raising the issue of not supporting this business – it was still your choice if you wanted too. Someone could have replied why this animal is treated like this and why they think it is good.

I don’t thinks its helpful just shutting down the topic by deleting people’s posts – wouldn’t it be more helpful and healthy to debate the issue? Sure you may claim this is not why this board is for – but what is this board for? Is not about improving animals (fish) lives? Informing people? Debating topics?

I would just like to state again: I was only expressing my personal opinion; I wasn’t forcing people too agree with it – just raising the issue about a huge fish in a tank, which I think is not suitable for that animal.

Hi @ndrew,

As a Moderator, I too would have removed your post had it been in the sections I moderate.

I don’t thinks its helpful just shutting down the topic by deleting people’s posts – wouldn’t it be more helpful and healthy to debate the issue? Sure you may claim this is not why this board is for – but what is this board for? Is not about improving animals (fish) lives? Informing people? Debating topics?

The fact that you were complaining about the conditions that an animal was kept in was not the issue.

The issue was that you decided to use this forum to degrade a companies reputation by publishing it's name, which as stated above, is not the purpose of this forum.

This is not the United States, and we all like to think this forum is for the exchange of knowledge among fishkeepers, not for personal flag waving.

I support Bruce in his actions, as legal actions could be taken against the forum if the company felt the post was of such a nature that it was harmful to their business.

I missede the deleted mssge. However here is my 2 pence worth.

Andrew I appreciate you are sincere however the following is my experience.

Keep it impersonal you can warn - do not buy a fish with clamped fins.

Shops are ppls livelihoods and every owner/manager, I am sure, is willing to listen to complaints (and compliments). For that is one way that they can improve or better their business. Most business rely on happy customers.

One negative comment could ruin years of work and investment a person has put in. Maybe due to negligence/ignorance of a new employee so I agree the board is not for singleing out one person or shop.,

If I had a complaint I would first go to owner/manager.

Then to consumer complaints or animal welfare.

I always give the owner / manager a chance to put things right. They are human too and suffer from down days and stress gets to us all.

I missed the post as well, but believe that it was perfectly reasonable to delete it under the board regulations:

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate any applicable laws.

I haven't seen the post so I can't be sure but from the sound of it your post could be seen as abusive or slanderous.

Maybe everyone who has post to my reply should read my reply AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!

Many have made suggestions and comment, which I have justified in my reply why I didn’t decide to take that course of action.

Maybe I made a mistake my naming the business. But I totally reject I was degrading a companies reputation It is still your choice if you want to give that company you custom. Anyway if I was (which I wasn’t) what is wrong with voicing my or your thoughts???? they where NOT: abusive (offensive), obscene (indecent), vulgar (coarse), slanderous (insulting), hateful, threatening, sexually orientated or any other material that may violate any applicable laws.

If degrading is stating the truth, god help me! Since my message was removed I instruct you to remove ALL messages which are not positive towards a person, group and/or a company! (That includes everybody who replied to my post that have not supported me).

I also ask you to write a letter to all the consumer-aid organisations/companies (consumer magazine, fair go, ect) and SPCA and SAFE telling them why you disapprove of what they are doing – campaigning against companies that use animals wrongfully – because all of them do and have named companies.

Open your eyes! Are you shareholders or something??

This issue is over as far as I am concerned, in my opinion the post was removed as I found it to be out of line.

Sorry if you disagree.

Posts will be removed if they cross the boundaries again.

I dont agree with naming of stores or the people concerned

It does nothing for fishkeeping in NZ at all.

/Bruce

Yeah, wouldn't want someone to read that some place doesn't take care of their fish well and then choose to think for themselves and save them from possibly buying a diseased fish that wipes out their entire tank. We all know letting people know what certain fish stores are like is bad for fishkeeping.

Dear all members,

The powers that be have made a ruling that member’s posts are not to be in any way negative, disavowing, or degarding in anyway to a company or any think in that matter.

This means you CANNOT say the following for an exmple:

Situation: “An under gravel filter is the best filter for a goldfish tank.â€

REASON WHY YOU CAN’T: Because you would be effectively giving a bad reputation to other kinds/types of filters on the market.

Situation: “I once had a corner filter but now I have a power filter, which is a lot better.â€

REASON WHY YOU CAN’T: Because you would be effectively giving a bad reputation to corner filters.

Situation: “I have found Pet Shop 1 better because it is a lot cheaper than Pet Shop 2.â€

REASON WHY YOU CAN’T: Because you would be effectively giving a bad reputation to Pet Shop 2.

Situation: “I Can’t get any worms and bacteria in Aucklandâ€

REASON WHY YOU CAN’T: Because you would be effectively giving a bad reputation to Auckland.â€

Situation: “I don’t go to Circuses because I don’t like seeing the animals doing unnatural thingsâ€

REASON WHY YOU CAN’T: Because you would be effectively giving a bad reputation to all Circuses.â€

(You CAN NOT correct it by):

Situation: “I don’t go to Circus 1 because I don’t like seeing the animals doing unnatural thingsâ€

REASON WHY YOU CAN’T: Because you would be effectively giving a bad reputation to Circus 1.â€

Please amend all you posts, or they will be removed!

(See how crazy that ruling was!)

If it had only been expressing your personal view of the shop in question then it would have been OK - I think the reason your initial post was removed was the fact that you told us to BOYCOTT the shop in question - I think this was overstepping the mark.

I think it's reasonable to tell other people what you thought of the shop (politely - not emplying that you were impolite) ie "I didn't like that fact that they had a large fish crammed into a tank it couldn't turn around in, and the general hygiene of the tanks was poor, I know I wont be buying fish there". Then other people can make up their own minds from there.