So my kid wants a frog...

Vicki Kazim

Hi all, I'll start by saying that I've kept fish/reptiles both at home and professionally for over a decade, have related certificates etc etc.

I've kept green and gold bell frogs many years ago. I have an almost 7yo boy who is obsessed with frogs and is asking for one/some as a pet.

I'm reluctant to indulge him as I know I'll be the only one looking after them, as it goes with kids... But I'm considering it.

I have an empty 150L tank that I could set up with a mesh lid, and a uv light fitting laying around, as well as a fogger.

Because its been a long time since I've kept frogs, I'm after some advice and opinions.

What kind of frogs would do best in the Far North of nz? Our house can get very warm in summer.

What kind of water to land ratio is ideal for them, and what kind of filters are recommended?

Also how many frogs are best to keep? Are they social or is 1 happier? 

Looking forward to hearing your responses! Thanks in advance.

Hey Vicki. Welcome. 

I am not much help sorry as I do not know alot if anything about frogs in nz. 

Have you had a read through the pinned posts and guidance on this forum ? Hopefully they help. Otherwise I know a good Wellington based reptile and Amphibian rescue who may be able to help. However you may need to reach out to them on facebook. 

Hi Vicki good to see you are still doing the animal thing lol

to answer your questions

What kind of frogs would do best in the Far North of nz? Our house can get very warm in summer.

Both green and golden bell, and southern bell will handle the far north caresheet here https://aquariumworld.nz/databases/22-Tropical FWFishallowedinNZdatabase/1850-Green-and-Golden-Bell-Frog

What kind of water to land ratio is ideal for them, and what kind of filters are recommended?

A small bowl will suffice so land as general environment has good humidity, about 30% water if spawning

Also how many frogs are best to keep? Are they social or is 1 happier? 

They get on okay if similar sizes  but  big frog is always capable of eating little frog

A small filter just to keep some movement in the water works well