If You Breed Fighters, Then See This.

Pegasus

Water changing isn't the trouble: when you keep 100 fish in the same water supply you can't risk leaving out sterilisation. If one fish got any disease then it could spread to all of the others and lose you up to $1500 worth of fish (100 adult males at common LFS price $15) PLUS sentimental value. You would also lose several hours in cleansing the system. A UV steriliser would prevent this. If you're running a business of these then a mistake like that could ruin your business for many months. You could probably do without it but I wouldn't be willing to take the risk. Does anybody know where one could be bought so I can take note and buy when I've saved enough to embark on building a condo.

Hi Interfecus,

You say:

If one fish got any disease then it could spread to all of the others and lose you up to $1500 worth of fish (100 adult males at common LFS price $15)

There are many people on this forum with a single tank full of Discus and exotics that are worth a lot more than $15 bucks each, but they don't use sterilizers.

Possibly one of the major fish wholesalers could put you onto someone who could supply one.

Just a word of thought before you do.

I have worked in quarantine rooms that the whole water system is constantly sterilized. The tanks were bare, and in some cases numbered several hundred.

Invariably when the fish entered the normal tanks they became sick, so careful adjustments to water conditions had to take place gradually over time. Seemed to me that the fish had lost all thier natural immunity to disease.

If you really wanted to get a UV steriliser you should be able to get one through your LFS they may not be on the shelves, but they could order you in one - I now I can get them through Fees shop.

About the possible $1500 loss for killing 100 male fighters, really it's only going to be $750, as you're not going to be able to sell fighters to a shop for $15 each, when the shops themselves are only selling them for $15 (unless of course you were talking about crowntails - since they retail for about $30+ :D ).

Just adding to Pegasus comment about fish going from a sterile environ to a regular tank environ and then getting sick. It's just like us humans, modern kids get more allergies etc because they've been raised in too clean an environment - luckily for me I was raised on a farm and my mum was a poor housekeeper :lol: .

Sounds good, I see the problem with overly sterile water though. You could probably introduce them to a non sterilised tank and give them slowly decreasing amounts of medicine to solve this. Yes, I see the point about the actual value but I was mainly thinking of costs to replace stock. Even worse though, you could lose a new strain of fish being bred, prhaps even years of work. It would probably work either way, the steriliser is just like getting insurance on your car: it costs you but decreases risks. Each to his/her own opinion.

The way I see it is you're probably not going to be introducing too many new fish to the system that often so you won't introduce many diseases, especially if you quarantine any new fish. And as long as you keep the fish happy and healthy they'll be able to fight most diseases. Their immune systems are probably 100X more effective overall than anything we could do for them.:)