Puffer fish

Chim Chim

hey am thinking of getting a puffer fish for my community tank. I've read that they are brackish water fish, and the guys at the pet store say it will die if it's not in a brackish set up. I have a few fish that are categorised as brackish water in my tank and they've survived with no problems.

does anyone know much about these fish and their needs? i think they're extremely cool little fish. I'm aware they need snails in their diet as well...please advise.

Puffer fish? Community tank? Umm... k. Well, I had spotted and figure 8 puffers in my community tanks a few times when I was younger. Simply put, every single one either went back to the store for aggression towards tank mates. They start with fin nipping and move on to using that cute little beak to take out chunks of smaller fish.

Now, you may be talking about a different type of puffer... and I may not have been the most attentive 13 year old back then, so do your homework and make sure you have a separate tank for him in case he needs a new home.

By the way, will all your fish in the comm tank be okay with brackish water?

i had a Brazillian puffer in my comm tank, and he nipped fins, mainly of the bottom feeders.

I had to sell him (how is he ira?). would certainly not recommend one for a comm tank, but do know people that have done it.

plecs

What kind of puffer is it? There are somewhere around 42,482,2934.3 different species in the world.:) And about a dozen that show up in NZ.

He's doing great, Plecs. You should come visit him sometime.;) No nipping that I'm sure of and he's in a community tank. Maybe nipping some of the guppies tails, but I've had a total of 3(*Sniff* Poor H&R Puffersnstuff) and none of them have done a noticable amount of nipping.

Computer says no....

LOL. Chim chim, I'd probably not get the puffer fishie. I know they're cute as a button, but it means that you'll have to add salt to your tank to make him happy, grow snails to feed him and keep an eye on your other fish. If you want to do all that because you just oh-so-love the little guys, just make sure you have a home for him in case things go badly. Could be as simple as asking the fish shop if you can bring him back later on.

They really are fun to have in the tank, and some are not as agro as others.

I wouldn't be so hard on the puffers .. have kept numerous species in my time and if you keep brackish ones , figure 8 , spotted/leopard or the morphs, if they get cloudy eyes add more salt ,.......... have kept spotted ( fluviatilis ) in full salt water and they show their best there .. as for freshwater ..( somphongsi) are shy but good community fish ... ...............( brevirostre ) forget it , they even hate their own kind ! ... Brazillian are good comunity but it pays to keep them with small finned fish...... and back in the good old bad days ( along time ago ) the Miurus is just a nazi ( individual species tank only) ..

will take on the stomach of fish 4 times it's size .. but that was along time ago ... ahhhhh memories... anyway as long as you know what you have or want , you shouldn't have a prob.. :wink::wink::o 8)

i had an awesome little puffer fish in the community tank, he was the cutest evil little murderer, in a period of about 3 days he silced open the bellys of about 12 of his tank mates, he now has a new home with mystic, in his own planted tank. i wouldnt recomend them with other fish, but an awesome fish by themselves

Hey Mystic V ... what species do you have? ... glad you like him/her ... bummer travis & vicki gave up on him ... see my post re:friendly/nazi puffers but there is more on the big bad world of the net ...

the bigger the teeth the bigger the carnage !!! :o:o:wink:

• 2 months later...

Hey thats a " Carinotetraodon Somphongsi" .. "red eye puffer" :lol: and its a "boy" .. yur lucky... I've only ever had females in my time ..in the ref pic the dark markings on the belly are usually a sign of stress .. these guys are really shy and don't enjoy boysterous ( spelling !) fish..

but cool you have one . :wink: