Repairing the bottom of the tank

HandS

Today our the bottom of our 300l tank cracked. When we got the tank it had a crack in it, and i repaired it by siliconing a glass over the top of it, and it worked fine...... until now. Im going to replace the bottom pane, but i was wondering if there is any need to strip the whole thing down, or could i take the bottom off, clean it up and silicon the new glass on. And what thickness would any one recomend for a 120x50x50.

Thank god for MTS

Turn the tank upside down.

Remove the base with the aid of a thin blade.

(I use a blade from a used "bic" razor.)

Clean off all old silicone and wipe down with cleaner.

Use 10mm glass.

Place the base onto the assembled tank that has a good ribbon of silicone on it.

Leave to set and when set.

Turn tank over and cut out the bead off silicone and re-run a new bead and wet-finger finish it.

If you have help, you can do it with the glass base on the table, and then place tank onto the base.

This way you won't have to cut off the bead or do a re-run.

Make sure you use "Acetic-cure" glue.

DON'T breathe the fumes.

Alan 104

Make sure you leak test it outside before you set it up. Also have a good look at the old joints, I found that when removing old panels the movement and damage from slipping with the razor in the joins you aren't replacing can cause them to start to leak.