Rockery Background?

dee_jay_01

Hey all, I was wondering if anyone new how to make a background for my 4ft tank, I am trying to recreate the natural river/stream look. What would be a better material, Concreate, Polystyrene, Latex? etc. And would the chemicals used in such things harm the fish? and also how would it be painted?

The price of commercial ones is so high, although they are excellent depictions of natural things, its to much money to spend on a low budget.

So any help would be appreciated.

Do a search on the net, there are lots of ways of doing it. I don't know the exact details on how they are done which is why you will need to look them up, but have seen people use expanding foam (you can buy it in can from hardware store) which is cut to shape then seal/paint.

You can make your own 'rock' back ground, you make up a mold which is bacisally a hole in the ground the right size, then make a mixture which is like concrete but uses pumice, I think its call tufta(?).

The other cool idea I read about was to hang black plastic sacking about an inch from the back of the tank, on the sacking attach plants like Java fern, anything that will grow with is root out of the substrate, after a while you will end up with a lush wall of plants. And the reason for it being out from the back... so you can put your heaters and filters tubes etc out of sight.

I did a small rock wall in my tank. Got some cork tiles (the sort without adhesive already on them). Stuck some river pebbles to it using silicon. Created a split level effect.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y231/taupogirl/cork2.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y231/taupogirl/cork1.jpg

I glued a small strip on the back of two to make one long one and then arranged it to the angle i needed (I didnt want the wall going straight up and down but sloping back a little). To do this i put the tile in a banana box! and used some masking tape to make in stay in place and then glued the stones on. Once it had dried,doesnt take long, i trimmed of the excess cork. Its now in the tank and you cant see the cork just a rock wall. And with it sloping back its not going to fall over.

But if i did it for the back wall obviously i would not make it to slope and i would stick the cork to the glass.

• 1 month later...

Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:06 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But make sure they are well siliconed together or they might topple and break a fish! lol

Cheers

Jude

hmm yeah good idea if you never ever want to catch your fishes again

in my tank i just placed the and tried to knock them down if they stayed i went to the next layer that way i can remove the rockery if i need to shift the tank etc

• 1 year later...