Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Believe it or not

Featured Replies

How deep is the sandbed

How much is topped off in the time you stated

If there is allot of evaporation being replaced and they are using a supplement which probably have buffer in it (not sure if it has I haven't used that one) it is possible.

As for the splitting there has always been allot of debate about the cause of this, as in most cases the conclusions that are made, even by the best and most respected people in the world are based on assumption or a slight varyation on some other persons research. So noone should be saying that the tank is not healthy.

There are allot of people running tanks in the world that don't get any water changes at all because they don't need to with the type of systems they are running.

minchton

Can you put some picture of the tank up so we can see what could be happening.

I have read with a deep interest the comments made by some people that believe they know all there is to know about marine aquariums and marine livestock. I would have to say without a doubt that you all have a lot to learn on this subject.

Many marine species will continue to thrive under less than ideal conditions, in my time as a salvage diver, I have encountered marine livestock in many places where they shouldn't even survive.

On the subject of Mitch's Tank and it's inhabitants, I just wish to ensure you all that the figures quoted are real and correct, I was there when they were taken, and the inhabitants are all very much alive and healthy.

It's not a matter of will they survive or not, its how comfortable they are in that environment. It's not rocket science, the ocean does not have nitrates nor nitrites nor ammonia that high. As an analogy, consider people living on the outskirts of Chernobyl. While they can live there and survive in low levels of radiation, chances are they will not live a long healthy life. We as hobbyists should be doing our best to maintain an environment as close to the natural environment as possible.

within minutes the corals changed from a dull grey colour to lovely green and mauve

I think the above statement already proves that improving the water quality will result in healthy livestock.

Whilst the fish/coral are still alive the conditions need to improve .

Straps - There is no doubt that we all have much to learn, I for one would love to learn more. However from the information i've seen things I have already learned apply, those water paramaters are unhealthy.

We are all trying to offer advice based on our own experance and things we have already learned. One of those things I have learned would be that if I had nitrates over 100 in my own tank I would consider it a failure.

I've seen my fish flop around on the carpet for a while without dieing. However being alive, and being heatly and happy and different things. Don't underestimate an animals will to survive.

Anyone who suggested keeping animals in conditions as described as a good idea or even OK is off base and should be ignored.

Pie

  • 2 weeks later...

Going back a few replies with regard to parameters....

I dont have a problem keeping high KH, (Up to 14 at one stage) and a stable ph of 8.2. Along with Ca of 500 and Mg of 1500.

Whats so difficult about acheiving this.

High KH does not raise PH, all it does is stablilise PH and keep it running firmly at a stable level.

I dose mine independently as most of you with reactors probably wouldnt achieve it due to the fact that your reactor mixes dont release the same as individual dosing.

I generally run:

KH 12

Ph 8.2

Ca 450-500

Mg 1300.

I used to run 1500 Mg but Pie informed me that High Mg can result in exceess production of unwanted Algae.

So, just in case, 1300 will do!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.