Setting up a tropical marine tank...

Janey

My partner Mark is about to start setting up a saltwater tank (with me helping I suppose!) He is busy investigating all the necessary equipment etc.

Does anyone have any helpful hints or suggestions? The tank will be approximately 400-500 litres, we will have those metal halide lights, and a protein skimmer. We eventually want to have hard and soft coral, live sand and rock, anenomes and of course some fish! But will be taking things very slowly and making sure it's all set up right first.

I am quite spoilt, as I have a 1600 litre tropical marine tank at my work, it is so awesome to look at, now we want one at home too :)

Any advice would be much appreciated... :D

Where do you work, Janey? I'm gonna come visit so I can see the tank.;)

I was considering making my 100 liter tank into a marine tank. But, I gave it up for now because there doesn't seem to be anywhere local to get equipment and fish, and because it was going to be a bit more expensive than I was planning.

Anyway, the conclusions I made when I was considering it is seem to need heaps and heaps and HEAPS of current and filtration. Most people say cannister filters are bad for marines because it just collects debris instead of eliminating it. I think for a 500 liter you'd need something like 4000 liters per hour going through the skimmer and you'd probably be best off setting up a sump. A couple powerheads to circulate the water would be good too. As for light with corals I think you'd need about 500 watts, maybe more.

Hope that helps a bit, but someone that's done more research and has more experience hopefully will help.:)

Wow! 1600 litre !! You must work in a Japanese restaurant :wink:

I'm expecting my new 200 litre marine today !! Yippee. New to the marine thing as well (I have a 500 tropical),(oh yeah, and 16'x6' outdoor koi/goldfish pond) So that'll cover all the bases :D:D

I found a LFS just around the corner and had a chat and they were very happy to help. The basics are pretty much the same as tropical so if you've done that you're half way there (he says, having never even done it ...jeez) :roll:

(If ya think failure ya get ....failure :D )

Anyways, I fill my sump today and start cycling so will only be a short step ahead if ya need a hand. I just have to wait a month before i go shopping for fish :cry:

peety

I agree with you Ira, theres like nowhere in wgtn that sells saltwater equipment let alone fish... IF i ever wanted to do (which i doubt i wil) I would prolly have to get them ordered from AKL. However I was in Whangarei last week and they had lots of marien fish and stuf.. not fair as wgtn is ssoo much bigger than there and yeah

Fins and fangs in Wellington had 1-2 marine tanks last time I was there...But they looked like they'd been ignored for several months and I couldn't actually see anything alive in them. I THINK Wet Pets in Palmerston North had a bit, so they're the closest to Wellington that I know of.

Wet Pets has a marine tank for viewing only. They dont sell any fish. They have got some brackish water fish for sale though. I kinda like the cute puffers :D but I didnt realise the little sods have teeth!! Was talking away to the staff and we encouraged the puffers up to the surface. Dumb old me puts her finger into the tank (as I do at home) and up comes Jaws from the bottom of the tank!! Gave me a huge fright to be nipped on the finger but a 1 inch killer :D :oops: :D. I couldnt believe something so small (and cute) had teeth or actually blunt needles in its mouth. Goes to show you that cute is nasty. Give me Bristlenoses anyday. I am not to worried about being sucked to death but a 3 inch bristley fella. :o :oops: :o:wink:

Cat... Mark did that at the Napier aquarium when we were up there at Labour weekend, his finger got nibbled by their puffer fish! Didn't draw blood but sure left a dent. Speaking of which, I was in Chch last weekend and went to the aquarium at the square, they have the biggest puffer/porcupine fish I have ever seen!

If anyone wants to come and see the marine tank at my work, you are most welcome to. No I don't work at a Japanese restaurant! I work in an office and I can see the tank from where I sit :) The guy who looks after it knows all the 'right' people, so getting fish and other animals for our tank at home shouldn't be too hard.

Peety... we have a 500 litre tropical tank as well, and a couple of smaller ones, but the marine tank concept appears to be so much more complicated, more equipment and more that can go wrong!

Does the sump have to be any particular size? i.e. 25% of the main tank size, and does it need to be full? I guess we should get the main tank made first! I think we have decided on 4 x 2 x 2 feet.

My puffs haven't bitten me. But they've only got little bitty mouths. Don't really have teeth, more like beaks.

Most vicious fish I've seen would have to be guppies. When I had a bunch every time I put my hand in their tank they'd swarm it and start nibbling on me.

Now I cant say I have found Guppies to have terribly murderous habits. More like tickle you than try and chew through to the vugular. But then again some fish are so different at other peoples places.

Those puffers have incredibly strong "beaks" for such little fish. I certainly am 'once bitten - twice shy' when it comes to them!

I agree with you Ira, theres like nowhere in wgtn that sells saltwater equipment let alone fish... IF i ever wanted to do (which i doubt i wil) I would prolly have to get them ordered from AKL. However I was in Whangarei last week and they had lots of marien fish and stuf.. not fair as wgtn is ssoo much bigger than there and yeah

As Ira said fins n fangs does indeed sell marine stuff. They had a small black and white striped fish in there when I was there last.

hi!!

Is it true that wet pets don't sell any fish? I haven't been there before but was thinking of driving up to Palmy just to check them out.. if they don't sell fishies then I won't go!

It's so hard to find pretty fishies in wellington - I am into goldfish at the moment... Gonna check out the Animates @ Ngaio area and check out Lower Hutt tomorrow - just to SEE!! *must resist!!* :o *must resist buying cute fish!!*... ...

Where did you hear that wet pets doesn't sell fish? Oh, I see, Cat meant marine fish when she said, "They don't sell any fish" They definitely do sell freshwater fish.:) Pretty good prices and selection, much better than anywhere here in Wellington. I've got a gold and green Severum from them.

You'd think the capital of the whole country would at least have a good fish store. Oh well...Anyone in the Wellington area want to help fund me starting one?:)

We dropped in on our way South after the Napier auction. They certainly do sell fish and I would caution that you only take your budgeted amount and no plastic - the temptation will be great. From the little I heard the gentleman selling the fish was giving sound advice and was not just there to make sales. I sure love the salespeople who take the time to share how to better look after the different fish and encourage them.

It will be worth the trip.

woo hooO!!! i will go up to Palmy next weekend!!! *cackles gleefully* Thanks for clarifying that they do sell many many lovely tempting freshwater fish.. I'll try to restrain myself!

It's good to know there are some really good salespeople out there!

When I went to Lower Hutt today to look @ Goldfish Varieties & Waterlilies and checked out Animates, Ngaio and AnimalZ J'ville - they had some niiiiiiiiiiice goldfish and I was very tempted but I am so proud I resisted :)

Goldfish Varieties in Lower Hutt had like a majorly huge backyard all w/ goldfishies. They had too many comets, they are selling their blue oranda's for $15 - looks like small-med size.

I wanna get me a nice red & white ryukin :P

Janey... was the Chch aquarium place any good? i heard that it does not have much fish... havent been there yet... is it worth the entrance fee?

Peety... did you say u have a koi pond? i thought koi's were illegal to have in NZ?

I would like to set up a marine tank myself one day as well.... love the bright colours...