Likelihood of success for a newbie with an AR620

bainorama

Just wondering what everyone thinks the likelihood of establishing a healthy FOWLR setup in an aquaone 620 tank is? I thought I had done my homework before purchasing, and the staff at Jensens assured me that this tank was suitable for this purpose, but reading the posts on this site sugests that a tank this small will be extremely difficult to maintain. What modifications to the tank are neccessary? Its one of the newer models with the twin 14000K fluros in it.

It all depends on what fish ou want to have in it, i have many customers who maintain this tank as FOWLR, and as a reef (mainly softies), take your time do your homework and take your time again. I've kept a very succesfill nano in a tank half the size of a 620, with great ease.

I've also heared that the 50/50 actinic/whites are now available for these. Just out of curiosity was it at mount eden, or one of the other stores

Hey there, I have the AR620-T which is the taller version and another 40 litres (130) My tank was origonally purcahsed for the use or tropical freshwater with the assurance that if I decided to goto marine everything would be ok. Turns out its an absolute nitemare. It has no support to use a protien skimmer, or a sump for that matter if you wanted to go hardcore into marine.

I had to change my lights to blue's, so the factory light tubes are useless for marine tropical fishes. However, if you are prepared to do regular water changes i.e. 5-10% per week and have access to NSW then go for it as this is going to be the way I'm going to do it. I will plumb in a protein skimmer on the right hand side of the trickle filter making things a little better.

My tank is still in cycle at the moment, (6 weeks) and once my ammonia levels drop I will add fish and see how this goes. If the system packs up and deems unsuitable to sustain marine tropical I will most likely go cold marine and support local fish available from our habour, crays, mussels e.t.c.

Good luck with it, but if you can stay away from the AR's as they truely are not suitable for marine, although your petshop will say so lol.

:)

The dogface is definately out, he'll eat the fish shrim etc, hell get to big and the tank size is to small, these fish sulk in smaller tanks IMO.

You dont need the filter if you have enough rock and current, so this allows for a hang on skimmer, ive seen these tanks retrofitted with 2x150 and another 2x250 hallides.

Ben, your tank doesn't count.

Big decision. Continue with the AR620 or cut your losses now. I think that in a short period of time you will be very disillusioned with this tank. If you take the filter off to add a skimmer, that sort of defeats the purpose of buying an all in one system. If you haven't used the tank, I would box it up and take it back to the shop. They should exchange it for you.

There are some old threads (last month?) discussing setups and the general opinion was a three to four foot minimum tank size. Most prefering the four foot size. More to buy short term but will save you on upsizing everything else later. Lighting not important for FOWLR.

bainorama~ i really didn't have any of the original AR620 hardware :D other then the tank ofcourse.

I use to use the standard lights (add a blue tubes) but it wasn't good for any corals other then mushs. Then i decide to change to T5 and now the summer is gone i change to HQI.

I didn't use the standard filters at all~ i use a 2227 eheim Wet/dry so i can save space for a hang on rea sea prizm skimmers.

Well anyway back to the topic of using AR620 as marine if all you want is a crown and a shirmp a standard AR620 will do. All you need to buy is Live Rock + powerheads for current. But if u are anyone like me~ wanting to keep a bit of everything plus overstocking the tank then AR620 is not for you. (I am planning an upgrade once i find the time)