Where can I get Aquarium Glue from?

Leonie

And is this suggested for making a tank? I just want to make one approx 2ft x 1ft x 1ft(high). Thought it might be cheaper then getting one from a pet store. Has anyone else had any success in making a tank? What did you use? Approx costs?

Thanks. :)

A few people make tanks (I have done it), but unless you are making a few, you are generally better of buying one. It's really messy, and a bit fiddly to do, plus buy the time you buy the glass, glue, glass cutter, break glass and buy some more :D it works out the same or better to get a tank made.

Pet shop prices are tipically high cause they have high overheadsetc, have you tried going direct to the glass shop and asking them to make one for you? Otherwise try here for local secondhand tanks, or trademe, there are always tanks for sale, usually with filters gravel etc.

Don't know if silicone is the same as 'glue' or if it is an extra used to just seal the tank...but i bought a tube of special (aquarium safe) silicone from Mitre 10 for about $11.....and attempted to seal the tank myself...and made a dogs breakfast out of it, lol...and ended up having it professionally sealed for not a lot more (Not sure of actual cost but paid less than $40 for one tank to be fully sealed and a repair on the central glass of my main tank as well as a piece of glass cut out of part of the lid on my main tank.) The professional job looks great! (mine looked very splodgy and messy and didn't even do the trick.) Ring around for prices quoting the measurements.....I was shocked at how much various glass companies differed in their charges but wouldn't hesitate to encourage a professional job next time....

• 4 weeks later...

The key to buy silicone (which acts as a glue) is to find one that does not have mould inhibitor in it. Often only coloured silicone such as white has mould innhibitor however some clear does as well. I have used both selleys and fosroc both with sucsess, If if you run your finger along the join once you have applied the silicone you will end up with a nice finish (no dogs breakfast :lol: ) So far i have sucsessfully replaced a 3ft bottom and repaired a 6ft bottom. The silicone cost 12-16 dollars corking gun refills are cheapest, but to make a 2ft tank i would suggest just buying it, i know in auckland you can get one that size for less than $40.