Air pumps?

Caper

Fish get the oxygen from the surface. Which is actually true. It is a misconception to think you give them extra oxygen. The current/movement of the water surface supplies the oxygen.

I found this while reading through here. If I've been understanding correctly, the larger surface area is better and the movement from the filter does provide oxygen. But, I also thought the air pump provided more oxygen as well?????

The purpose of the airpump is to agitate the surface of the water enabling oxygen to be absorbed. The amount of oxygen absorbed from the bubbles from, for example, an airstone is so small as to be unreadable. If the return of water from your filter is agitating the surface sufficiently then an airpump is unnecessary (unless you actually like the look of bubbles in your tank).

Thanks Heather!

I was told by the lady at the pet store that I needed an air pump, so have been using one all along.

Is it safe to assume that the water being returned from the filter is sufficient then? From everything I have read so far, if fish are not getting enought oxygen they will "gasp" at the surface, right?

Where I have always had the air pump, would it stress the fish if I were to turn it off now?

Its a hard one with air bubbles, i found out that having more bubbles will oxygenate the water more but the more bubbles you have the quicker the CO2 dissipates so if you have live plants too many bubbles may cause a lack of CO2.

It will be safe to remove it, the fish won't even notice.

Thanks Snowman :bow:

I don't have live plants in my tank. Me and live plants...just don't get along :roll: If the local SPCA new how many plants I have killed, they probably wouldn't let me keep ANY kind of pet :lol: :lol:

Perhaps someday I will look at the idea of live plants...but right now my focus is keeping fishies alive and well...if I had to take care of plants too DISASTER :oops: :oops:

The purpose of the airpump is to agitate the surface of the water enabling oxygen to be absorbed.

I didn't know until Heather told me that the air pump was to agitate the water...I thought the air pump was putting more oxygen in the water.

Yes, the purpose of the air pump is to add oxygen to the water, but the oxygen exchange takes place on the surface. So by agitating the surface the rate of exchange is increased.

I suppose it can get really technical but thats a basic explanation.

I know what you mean, my fish are living and breeding well but i find the challange is keeping plants alive LOL was tempted to go for fake plants but like the fact that live plants use up the nitrate and phosphates in the tank (if i can keep the plants alive long enough to use the phosphates i wouldn't have a black beard algae problem but the BBA covers the leaves to quick)

Yes Shae...the darn incadescents...going to try to get florescents.

Snowman...that would be me...trying to keep plants alive :lol: Really, you don't know how bad I am with them...my ex said I was so bad that I could kill artificial plants :wink:

I was terrified to try an aquarium...but with all the help you folks gave me...things so far are going good...don't want to take a chance on the live plants...not yet.