New Butterfly Pleco (Female I think)

CatBrat

Hey everyone,

I just thought I would post a pic of the new Butterfly Ploec that I got today (I'm pretty sure that it is a female, because of the rounded shape of its pectoral fins, and it has very few odontodes on it pectoral fins). I bought it to see if I could breed it with my male. Anyway here it is....

04a306ef.jpg

Is anyone else keeping these as well? (Kyle I know you do.)

Cheers, CatBrat.

Yeah - I've also got some (12 or so).

The offspring of my original spawning have now started spawning themselves - unfortunately the male abandoned the eggs (my fault - I hadn't realised they'd spawned and was re-arranging the tank) - I'm attempting to get them to hatch without him - I'll see how I go.

Cool Rob :D

What sort of tank set-up do you have them in (ie - tank size, temp, pH, breeding cave size, etc)? Much current? And do you have all 12 in the same tank (male:female ratio? how big are they)?

Sorry for all the questions...

Cheers, CatBrat.

Thanks becs,

All my others are looking good, but nothing is breeding at the moment. I will have to set my Butterflys and Matto Grosso's up in there own tank soon, I've just been a bit busy lately.

Cheers, CatBrat

@ Kribkrazy - there's the original male hidden away in the 5' discus tank and then the 11 or 12 remaining offspring with the young T-bar cichlids.

@Catbrat - tank's 2.5', 28dC, 5.5pH, caves are bamboo tubes with an internal diameter of 3.5-4cm, spawning occured two or three weeks after I'd increased the filtration (and current) on the tank and could have been the trigger, these offspring are now pushing 10cm long and will be 2 years old in july. I'm not 100% sure on the sex ratio.