My Bettas Breeding in Pictures

Billaney

Hi

My bettas are at this very momment breeding away in there own little tank :wink: ( well they share with some baby bristlenose) and i have managed to capture some of it in pictures :D and wanted to share, there is a few pictures so i hope not to big a post, but so exciting :lol: :lol:

BettaBreeding.jpg

BettaBreeding2.jpg

BettaBreeding3.jpg

BettaBreeding4.jpg

hope your not bored yet :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

BettaBreeding5.jpg

BettaBreeding6.jpg

BettaBreeding7.jpg

BettaBreeding8.jpg

BettaBreeding9.jpg

Don't you just think the fish world is FANTASTIC !! :D:D:D:D

:D:D:D:D:D:D

• 3 weeks later...

Absolutely gorgeous! Your female looks very much like ours...I was going to post here to ask if there was any possibility that she might be a male! Definitely that 'spade-like' tail....but that gorgeous rich colour like your girl...and VERY aggressive when she becomes amorous....

I introduced her to my remaining male fighter (her in a net breeder compatment while they said hello)....and I never let her out because she was all fired up and ready to go and he wasn't in the least bit interested!...Then SHE began building a bubblenest in her little net breeder...she is definitely ready for some action, the one male betta she 'mated' with....i wasn't sure if they were mating or fighting to the death...she was VICIOUS!.... he didn't die at the time, but a couple of weeks after he succumbed. (Although he seemed to enjoy the rough treatment at the time) Just the fact that a) she is such a glorious colour, b) she built a bubble nest herself (to give him the hint) c) she has been so aggressive when with a male fighter made me wonder if she might in fact be male. She LOOKS female...she doesn't have the super long trailing finnage...and in fact is almost identical to yours. I have been feeding her on brineshrim to condition her but think I may need a more manly fish to cope with her stroppiness! DON'T want to lose anymore male fighters :(

Fantastic series of pics Billaney.. Well done :)

Bit concerned about the styrene pad.. as the fry will need to reach the surface quickly once hatched.

It is normal to drop the water level to around 3-4" just prior to them hatching. This gives them a better chance of reaching the surface.

Bill.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Phillz

updates ... well we only got two live fry from that breeding , I'm happy to say both are alive and doing well.

As we speak the pair of them are at it again, this time doing things much more by the book, lower water levels, plastic plants for her to hide in, better poly-frame with access to the air but still protecting the nest , etc so hope for better survival rate this time. :D