Oscars

Travis & Vicki

please help, i would like to know what the best way is to care for my wee family of oscars.

I havent managed to kill them yet, but i am sure there are species spicific things that will help them become better fish, healtier, happier

all suggestions greatfully appreciated

It could be the most simple thing that i just dont know about them, the only silly question is the one i dont ask :hail::hail::hail:

Pay em attention :) mine sulks if I don't visit the tank at least twice a day to say hello lol.

Other than that urm.... yeah... lots of filtration is good - I'm seriously considering a canister filter to go with the "on top" filter of my aqua one 5' tank that he's in. Going to try a powerhead first, to see if the added circulation helps any with keeping stuff moving.

sulky yes. I let my niece feed mine tonight and he won't come out now :cry:

How do you teach them to play with the ping pong ball? I would love to have a go at that. Herp will eat out of my fingers now but he works up the courage and buggers off so fast he hits a wall :lol:

• 1 month later...

Oscars are susceptible to hole in the head disease so you must keep the water in good condition. This means regular water changes. The smaller the tank you have, the quicker the water will become polluted. This will result in new having to carry out a lot more maintenance on the tank.

You also need a big tank because these fish get big, really big. They can easily reach 14 or 15 inches, sometimes more.