Wanting Luecistic (yellow) green and golden bell frogs.

Kiera

Hey there! I’m on the lookout for yellow golden bell frogs. This is a rare genetic mutation often referred to as leucistic or albino. The frogs appear bright yellow. Am wanting more of these guys to try and get more out in NZ by breeding. I currently have a yellow male who is rather unwilling to secure a female. So any others out there would be amazing! 

IMG_6630.jpg

3 hours ago, alanmin4304 said:

You need to breed these to normals because the offspring will generally have deformities linked to the leucistic gene.

Yup, hence why I need another yellow :) my male isn’t so good at securing any of my normal females.

This may not be the direction you want to go, but couldn't you fertilise eggs in vitro? The earliest pregnancy tests consisted of triggering frogs to lay eggs in isolation with the hormones from the woman's urine. Note I'm not suggesting that literally, but you may be able to identify conditions where that happens. Not sure how the male part would work, but if you can get him to mate at all, putting normal eggs in the same water may suffice.

48 minutes ago, Interfecus said:

This may not be the direction you want to go, but couldn't you fertilise eggs in vitro? The earliest pregnancy tests consisted of triggering frogs to lay eggs in isolation with the hormones from the woman's urine. Note I'm not suggesting that literally, but you may be able to identify conditions where that happens. Not sure how the male part would work, but if you can get him to mate at all, putting normal eggs in the same water may suffice.

Sounds very intriguing! But I’m not sure I have those capabilities 😅 frog eggs get fertilised as they exit the female before their jelly coat swells up to protect them, so would be quite difficult I’d say 

• 11 months later...