Is this what I think it is?

cracker

Hey Pie, do you have any of these in your tank?

And is it an Urchin? It is the size of a 20cent piece and was crawling up the back of the tank glass!

The spines are hard as a rock, but the centre body is softish and sticks to hard surfaces with immense force! I couldnt move it out of the cup!! It was stuck so hard!! The hard spines wiggle slowly all over the place.

COOL!!

Good, or bad in my tank....It is sitting in a net until further notice!!

I noticed it this morning at 4AM just before starting my 25% water change that was 2 weeks overdue!!

Picture066Medium.jpg

I'll answer my own question :D

Did you know that:

- Sea urchins are used as indicator organisms in public aquariums to determine if the system is functioning properly? Because these animals are so "picky" about water quality and cleanliness in an aquarium, they are the first to show signs of stress, seen when their spines are laying down or falling off.

- There are numerous varieties found in both tropical and colder water oceans around the world?

- Urchins are generally referred to as Wana (sounds like vawna) in Hawai'i?

- It is not unusual for some urchins to house tiny, species associated shrimps within their spines?

- Triggerfishes and Puffers will pick the spines off sea urchins, turn them over, then break open their shells to eat them?

- Prior to the early 1970's, sea urchins in California were considered nothing more than pests, but now the export value of California's sea urchin fishery is a multi-million dollar industry?

- Many species enjoy eating coralline algae? This is not necessarily bad, unless you place too many in number and/or of large size in a tank where their appetite can exceed the amount of coraline growth available for them to feed on. If this is a concern, you might think about placing a few urchins in the sump to help remove excess coraline, micro and macro algae growth there, like John Rice did with some Variegated Urchins (Lytechinus variegatus).

- Some species are particularly predatory, and many do not eat algae at all?

- Long-spined members of the Family Diadematidae, such as Diadema and Echinothrix species, have venomous stinging spines?

- Large growing species can be cumbersome and act like little bulldozers, causing damage and the rearrangement or destablization of rock and coral scapes?

(from saltaquarium.about.com)

It appears to be a pale rock-boring urchin (Echinometra mathaei) - it's about the closest resemblence I could find!

I have one in my tank. They consume coraline algae. Mine only comes out at night.

Would I keep it? Yes particualy if your tank is big enough that a little loss of coraline isn't a big deal to you. If you want to find it a new home sing out, i'd take it.

Pie

Oh, Layton you seem to know your stuff. I've not got a reef tank yet but I'm working on reducing my freashwater so within 12months would like to start is there a chacne in the coming months I could have a look at your set up. Hard to understand what you guys are talking about sometimes not having one of my own and you only get one chance with reef tanks so would like to get it close to rigth first time.

There is a reef club meeting this Sunday (the very first chch one) you should come along. Eventually I will host one at my house.

No problem coming around to see my tank. Pomereef, all go for this weekend, for once I don't have too much work on. (Finally)

Layton

There is an urchin that is a problem on the reefs, big, black, things about the size of a soccer ball (inc spines), in Thailand I helped the locals go out killing them a couple times, they just poke them with a stick and let the fish eat them. There are hundreds of them that arrive every few days, they eat/kill the staghorn corals and are poisonous if you are unlucky enough to stand on them.

Well we were talking about urchins at the reef meeting on sunday, and how cool it would be to have one, and what did I find in my tank today?

2004-09-02-20018c_std.jpg

Not my tank, but the urchin is the same species it think, black long spine. It's about 1.5 inches. I wonder how many more there are?

Layton