8.2 ph water from tap in Whangarei

LeftHookGary

Would be interested to hear other peoples experiences with this, I have 8.2 - 8.4 tap water (along with trace ammonia and nitrates) in Waikuku, north of Christchurch and have found most community fish, if acclimatized properly, seem to still thrive. I have been acting on the advice that Ph swings are worse than a high Ph so have just left how it is and added some wood to try and bring it down over time.

49 minutes ago, alanmin4304 said:

I had a friend living in Waikuku who was keeping fish at the time but has been away from there for some time. The biggest problem at that time was iron in the water, which is usually caused by acid water conditions with dissolved CO2.  The water supply must be quite different now.

What is the concern with iron in the water? I believe this may still be the case as my plants all seem to be going very red near the top and I thought this may be an indicator of a high iron source, however I am also using Flourite Black for my substrates which I believe is also a source of iron.

I have recently moved back to Waikuku after a few years away, and I recall my old tank (5-6 years ago) having slightly acidic water so you may be correct that it has changed alot. This table from the council shows that my water is not being treated for Ph or Chlorine. However my water has ammonia present which I understood good only get there from chloramine treatment. It's all a bit over my head really, I feel like I need to go and get a science degree to care for my fish properly sometimes

Sorry for hijacking your thread LeftHookGary

Fish do not know what pH they are supposed to be in so don't tell them. If you have a local supplier, ask what pH their tanks are. Often pH is not a problem unless you are wanting to breed a species which has specific requirements when breeding.