planning on setting up a marine

Anthony

Anthony

There was alot of info about cutting acrylic on the net.

I havent looked recently though.

The blade does have to be straight and the tip of the point itself can be sloped the wrong way.

Make sure you do not make the acrylic hot. This is obvious if you can smell it.

Laser cutting is so quick that it dos'nt give it a chance to heat up.

Aaron

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Working with it at school (many years ago now) we used fine saws (like hacksaws) and metal files, also make sure you support the side of your cuts so it cant bend and snap. It really easy stuff to work with if you are sensible.

and does anybody no if carters in petone sells the pumpling supplies ill need?

Anthony, I told you were to get plumbing from. No carters don't sell everything you need (they may sell some stuff I don't know).

Pie

i got a book the other day some thing like 3 bucks its called a practical guide to setting up your marine tropical aqaurium and its by dick mills it explians what everything is and they show step by step of how to set one up but they only have rock in it not any corals

ant

I am still setting up my tank but thought I would place the return underwater but drill a small hole say 5mm in the return pipe down about 30mm below the water level. This should break the syphon when the level in the tank drops.

30mm in my tank equates to approx 30 litres which the sump can accommodate. Do you think this will work ?

the size of tank i want will be 4ft by 2ft by 1.5ft high and 3 ft by 2ft by 1.5ft high sump the main tank will be 10mm glass and will i get away will 6mm glass for the sump how much roughly would this cost me?

how much rock will i be needing?

cheers

ant

Ant,

that is about the same number of liters as my setup, I have about 30-40kg of live rock. Proberly more than I 'need' but you can't have too much. Plus it can be hard to get good cured rock, if you can find some buy as much as you can afford. Also buy it as soon as you can , the sooner you get it the sooner your tank will cycle. Remember the cycle for salt water takes a lot longer than fresh, can be up to 9 months+ if you rocks not so good before the different Aglae blooms stop.

If you don't have the tank ready get the rock anyway and put it anything, like an old tank, or drum, it doesn't need much/any light.

Be careful of old/cheap books things change really fast and marine books go out of date quickly.

Weka,

Yes it works, and is common parctice.