planning on setting up a marine

Anthony

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anthony - where you have put the sea swirl, you need to raise the box part so it shows that it is above the top of the tank. Effectively the plumbing to it will go into it horizontally, not from above - what package are you doing your drawings with? I am so lazy i have not looked into mine yet (although Im using Apple Mac)

I assume your picture isn't meant to be literal, but you'll obviously want your return pump below the water level of your tank, otherwise it'll be a pain in the butt to get primed after a power outage, turning it off, etc.

where your return pump is attached to the sump is tooooo high

you want it to be as low as possible on the sump so that the pump never runs dry as long as there is some water in that compartment of the sump

you want that as low as possible and where it returns into the main tank to be high enough not to empty the tank in the event of a power outage

Sea swirls are from US$127 on the Marinedepot website - probably work out at NZ$200 all up ? Or thereabouts.

Chim - can you jump in here? Would eductors do for now for Anthony here?

Also as its a simple setup he's planning - what about SCWDs

(Anthony these are simple mechanical non electrical units that alternate the outflow between two outlets thus creating a wave effect) They are cheaper than swirls.

anthony - you may have misunderstood - the SCWD is still powered by a pump, but its not an integral part of the product, thats all. Ultimately with a power outage or if you turn it off, you will have no flow anyway - unless you install a UPS (uninterupted power supply), so thats not a consideration. The more important thing is what Brianemone just said and that is $ for $ the swirl is better cos it doesnt restrict flow - and thats something i was not aware of till he just said it.

Dont get too bogged down with the 90 degree angles. Yes they restrict flow but in your setup its only small so the effect would be far less than say in Pies or Chimeras setup if they had tonnes of 90 degree bends - (althought they have the most amazing F*%£*$* pumps which would probably counter and problems raised by a plumbing elbow.

Your second diagram is technically better by the use of 45 degree elbows but you would be better off using a larger sump and having to put up with 90 degree elbows as the greater water capacity would outweigh the effect of the plumbing.

I hope thats clearer than mud.

afe is this ok

94798846.jpg

Its OK - but why not have the outlet from the pump running straight out to the left as far as it needs to, to go up towards the tank - that way you dont have a 90 degree immediately the water leaves the pump - and you end up with ONE not TWO 90 degrees under the tank.

Also - is there any reason why the width of the sump is so significantly less than the width of the tank? Why not make the sump a bit larger?

the sump is not to scale and the idea of running the pipe stright up is so i can use the space next the the sump but it doesnt matter if its the best for my tank

this new pic this is how i want it

the MH hanging from the steel stand

the skimmer sitting on the side of the sump

94804736.jpg