i give up

mistymu05

well i think i mite retire from tank keeping after losing fish left right and centre at the moment = recently(within the week) lost 1 barb, 1 glowlight, 1f betta and woke up this morning to a floating gourami = my pretty gold and blue dwarf.........:cry:

and these guys are not all in the same tank either so i not sure wats happening........:x

the sooner my dad gets his tank set up the sooner the poor fishies are moved to a hopefully better life.......... :o

and here i was thinking of breeding some more bettas.......:(

You had no trouble until you moved did you? I wonder if it is the water supply where you are, or more likely something in the pipes. :cry:

Can you get water from elsewhere? My son lives not far from you and he has no trouble with water changes. He is in Colombo St (not far from Pah Rd) and you could get water from his place and see if the deaths stop.

oh no....i am in the same boat right now having lost some beautiful fish in the last few days after a really good run with no losses. It really upsets and depresses me to have lost such a large number over such a short period of time specially when i am frantically trying to improve conditions and can't fathom what is wrong. sometimes i think the stress of constant water changes might be half the problem but under the circumstances there is little choice....when obviously something is going wrong in the water. This week i have lost a male and female guppy a cory a harlequin 2 platties ....and have nursed back from the brink a beautiful dwarf gourami (i was so sure she was a gonna last night and almost considered putting her out of her misery...this morning she is swimming around the tank....i moved her from the main tank to a smaller still cycling tank with only a female fighter and a sick cory for company....and i havent found THAT cory yet this morning but last night he was looking better than he had been) god it is disheartening. You try so hard to make them happy and comfortable...and when you screw up...and they pay in stress and/or death it makes you feel like sh*t.

I am so scared of hurting any more fish....but don't want to give up this beautiful hobby. I am reading till my hair hurts..... and just want to give these beautiful fish the happiest life they could wish for in a fish tank...:( You have done so well previously misty...... i hope you dont give up :cry:

Yes Dawn I have (i have been writing in about my problems in a post entitled "cloudy water" in the beginners section so i won't detail it all)....but i am determined to beat this thing and have the pleasure of seeing my fish happy and beautiful again. It is such a good feeling when everything is RIGHT and they look so content....and is so ghastly horrid when it all goes to custard :(

thanks for ur replies guys - i lifted the lid on my large tank this morning and look no deaths and nothing dead or dying (yet) in my other two tanks but the large tanks water did have a funny smell so gonna do a real good vacuum 2nite and a water change and c if that helps any........

perhaps i can get this under control.... i think maybe i just in one of those "if anything else goes wrong" moods (also i dont think the change in weather has done a great deal for my moods either)......once the tank at dads is set up and ready to take his fish i will then b able to focus on my breeding of fighters which always cheers me up a bit

Are you on town water?

If so, when the pipes get flushed it can stir up all the settled muck thats been sitting for years... Maybe the trouble started after a waterchange just after the pipes were flushed??

It happened to me years ago. I came home one day with the gutter outside the house flooded. I did a water change and had problems for the next couple of weeks. Didn't put 2+2 together for a while until someone told me about having a similar problem they'd experienced when pipes were flushed...

no sadly it wasnt just after a water change - i had been plannin on doin that nite wen the fish was discovered......

oh well no more deaths yet and i have changed water and cleaned up algae in the smaller tanks (caused by the lighting i hav 2 use at present.....