Weird Cory

zombieworm

A couple of weeks ago I bought 2 albino corydoras. I had them in the 400 ltr tank, but they seemed unhappy there - large, dark gravel substrate, and boisterous yo-yo loaches. So I moved them into the 160 ltr tank with white sand substrate, and more placid tankmates. They certainly seem to like it. 

My question now is - do anyone else's corys do this? Mine seem to LOVE doing this. 

20160519_163821.jpg

20160519_170048.jpg

My cories often try to dig into the gravel, however my gravel is made up of small stones so not that easy to dig into it as it is in fine sand like in your tank. They do however manage to push at least part of their bodies down in the gravel... especially when food particles fall through the cracks!

They are well known to like to dig into substrate and prefer a nice sandy one so burrowing is easier. They can't do that on gravel so such behaviour won't be seen unless you have a sandy substrate. It is important that whatever you use does not have sharp edges as this will wear down their barbels.

There were 2 salt and pepper corys in that sand substrate tank already, and I have never seen them do that, or the julie corys in another tank with sand substrate. So the first time I saw one of these little guys sticking out of the sand like that , it freaked me out. 

They frantically wriggle into the sand, and just sit there like that, totally still for a few minutes. Then suddenly, their tail will flop to one side, then the other side, then they pop out. It is so funny to watch. 

Also, all the other corys I have stick strictly to the bottom of the tank, but these guys swim all over. They also periodically race to the top to take a gulp of air. None of the other corys do that either - not even the salt and peppers in the same tank. Their behavior is so different from all the other corys I have.