Substrate help

Martymc83

Hi guys, 

Just joined yesterday after lurking for a while.  

I'm in the process of setting up my first tank and as the title suggests was wanting a little bit of advice regarding the substrate to use.  I am not sure if I want to go with a sand of gravel type.  I am wanting to add a few live plants but not too many and some slate or driftwood to create caves / hiding places for the fish.  

I'm on a bit of a budget and looking at the price of the lfs gravel was wondering if pea gravel would be ok to use?  I have read mixed responses online on the subject.  Also would using sand or gravel be better for the live plants and would either restrict what types of fish I could add to the tank.  

Thanks

How long is a piece of string? There are so many variables that will affect the answer. If you have bottom dwelling fish you need to make sure whichever you use is not too rough or have sharp edges as it will wear down the barbels and mouth of the fishes.

Whatever you choose, make sure it is smooth (I don't know anything about pea gravel). I had tanks with sand/gravel from the local beach (free). Gathered as far above the tide line as possible so it did not have too much shell in it (alters the pH).

Thanks Caryl

Never even thought of popping to the beach with a few buckets.  I was looking to add a couple of bottom dwelling fish, I was looking at a bristlenose and a couple of yoyo loaches so I will make sure whatever I get is not sharp

Don't know about sand/pebbles from the wild. But I did have a brief go and keeping some ants. And the advice for soil there was to bake it in the oven at a low temperature (90-120 degrees C). To kill off any unwanted bacteria/fungi/pathogens. I don't know if this is a done thing for aquariums though?

I have also done what Caryl said with no issues. I think an alternative to 'wild caught' in terms of sand which is soft and reasonably cheap is play sand (unsure of brand sorry). Always good to give whatever substrate you get a good thorough rinsing :) 

Thanks for the advice, I actually have a bag of play sand in the garage come to think of it.  I am also planning a trip to a gravel beach at the weekend to grab a bit of that.  

So a good rinse out of either then I'm good to go?  

I'll be back on the forums for advise after that as I'm going to try a no fish cycle to to get the tank going! 

Thanks again all

Just wanted to say thanks for the tips guys.

I went to Birdlings Flat (30 Min from Christchurch) and picked up some really good looking natural gravel,  I am trying to keep the tank looking as natural as possible so it's perfect!

I mentioned getting the gravel from the beach to the LFS as they were trying to sell me some of theirs and they advised against it and said it would put any fish I put in there in danger.....  The gravel has been rinsed 1/4 bucket at a time before being added to my tank and I have tested the ph before and after adding it yesterday,  my tap water is PH7.8 and the gravel in the tank is 7.8-8.0 (could not tell on api master test)  Am I worrying over nothing?  Is there any other things I can do / test for to make sure the water will be safe for fish? 

Thanks again

I am not sure what it is exactly that you are worrying about. pH does not have a lot to do with whether water is 'safe' for fish or not. The pH will change depending on what else is added to the tank and the buffering effects (or lack thereof) of the gravel and as the tank matures.

The gravel will have salt in it from the sea and you have already washed that out. I have used gravel from there in the past with no problems. The only foreign matter you may find in there are semiprecious stones or any things left behind by the maoris who were frequently there many generations ago.