New Aquarium

fishgirl53

I would go sump over cannisters because they are much easier maintenance and do a great job besides being able to hide your heaters etc in them.  Trelize on here has a cichlid tank which he sumped and the write up on it is in one of the AW magazines which I think you should be able to see - accessed from the toolbar.

I agree with Adrienne, sump would be more suitable on that size of tank. 

Even though I use FX-5 most of the time on my tanks up to 700~800L. As I dont have heavy stocking in my tanks so I only end up clean every half an year or a year. When heavy stocking it would really push the limit of a canister. (Even FX-5 claims 1500L/h rate) You would end up clean it more regularly like fortnightly to keep the water clean.

Sump has far more space for DIY media and setup. In terms of the efficiency of filtration would be much better.

You probably end up clean your sump once a year with heavy stocking in your 650L.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree - go with a sump. I am currently setting up a sump for my 450L american cichlid tank - for a 150L sump it will cost me about $250 total, so a sump has way better filtration, less maintenance and is a lot cheaper!