Chocolate Zebra Plecos - how many should I have?

Sandy

Hi all - I have a 270ltr tank and was looking at getting a couple of chocolate zebra plecos. I saw them at HFF in albany and thought they were so cute (yeap I know they are poo machines). My question is how many is a good number? I know some plecos like to be by themselves where as others like to be in a group. I have googled this and found two answers, one is that they are fine on their own and the other that they should be in a group. So who do I believe?

I currently have:

5 x long fin zebra danios

5 x long fin leopard danios

10 x neons

10 x golden mountain cloud minnows

6 x otos

The plecos would be my last addition.

I have googled this and found two answers, one is that they are fine on their own and the other that they should be in a group. So who do I believe?

I agree protest with this finding, they are very much definitely not schooling solitary fish so prefer dislike being solitary in groups.

As adults, you could have up to 8 in a tank that size.

You have no other "bottom dwelling" fish.

They don't "care" if they have friends or not, as they are not a schooling fish.

If you have more crevices / hiding spots than you have fish then there will be no aggression, and aggression can be completely eliminated by having zero caves.

Some people have one cave and more than one male, and the males fight over the cave, which is why some people say they must be on their own.

A cave is defined as any space, crack, tube, or other object that has only one entrance.

The ones for sale are generally too small to sex.

Cheers.

Thanks everyone. I do have areas of my tank with driftwood, stones and plants that could be classed as "territories" but they arent covered in as a cave would be. I might go get some pvc piping and glue some pebbles over it with silicone to make them look more realistic then bury them a bit just to make sure. How long does it take for the silicone to be safe to put in the tank ie if i do some gluing today will they be okay to go into the tank next weekend?