Whiptail bleeding mouth. help required

redracer77

My female royal whiptail has what looks like blood in its lips & mouth, it has now started to spread slightly. It is worse after it eats and doesn't seem to change with different foods. It is still active and eating but not quite as active as normal. No other fish affected.

Does anyone have any suggestions for treatment?

sorry can't manage to get a pic of it yet.

Looks bacterial - similar to what bn get on their backs.

However try google haemorragic septicaemia and see if anything comes up.

Thanks Adrienne, I'm not sure that is the same but it could be.

I spoke to the vet today and I am going to try to drain it and take them a sample to test.

Hopefully it is something treatable.

If it's spreading quickly and is red, I would be inclined to agree with Adrienne (I've only just experienced what I believe was septicaemia in fish and it's been horrifyingly quick) - I imagine your vet will know what to prescribe in the way of Gram Pos/Neg Aerobic antibiotics. If you can get a topical treatment (applied directly) that may be preferable (I personally prefer topical treatments rather than treating the whole tank as I've found it to be efficient and less stressful long-term for the fish).

Keep us updated - hope it goes okay!

It is caused by a virus and therefore antibiotics are of no use. It is by all practical measures incurable.

VHS is viral - my use of "septicaemia" was ambiguous as it could be viral or bacterial with the hope that the vet would be able to clarify once results were available.