Photographing fish

Bristle

Hope this is the right place to post.

I'm looking to photograph some of my guppies, endlers and molly fry but my camera (Nikon D-70) won't easily focus on them. I was wondering if there is a technique to go about taking pictures without investing in a better lens. Could I take them out and put them in jars with a white background behind to help focus?

Thanks

I'm looking to photograph some of my guppies, endlers and molly fry but my camera (Nikon D-70) won't easily focus on them. I was wondering if there is a technique to go about taking pictures without investing in a better lens. Could I take them out and put them in jars with a white background behind to help focus?

Thanks

You could, will help keep them in a confined area. Also try manual focus, more light and narrower aperture to give a wider DOF.

Thanks

Smaller tanks and clean your glass so it is spotless.

Putting them in a jar isn't necessarily that good, as the curved edges will distort what the fish looks like.

Jars are a no-go due to being curved, but the smaller space will help. The internal flash on your camera will only help if you can use it right to prevent reflection - typically I'd recommend staying away from it. Having an external flash will help immensely, but if you don't have one, a strong light from above will help. It's preferable to keep the rest of the room dark to prevent reflections on the tank. Good quality glass is best, as cruddy glass will give distortion. Make sure you're photographing straight on - not from an angle. You'll get too much distortion from an angle, so straight on is a must.

• 3 weeks later...

Some of the main tips i think are the most important are; to turn all the lights off in the room and put lots of light onto the tank (unless you are using a speed light), Shot straight on, not at an angle to the glass other wise you will get distortion, and to move with the fish.

And scrub that glass spotless!