Woundering

Benjansss

The current weather has got me thinking about something what do fish do when rivers and steams burst there banks or swell to be much faster then normal do they hunker down under rocks or what?

Unfortunately most of them get flushed down the rivers or onto farm land where if they are lucky, as it recedes they end up back in the river. The unlucky ones end up in puddles which eventually dry up.

Certain times of the year can really affect the spawning sites.

Unfortunately most of them get flushed down the rivers or onto farm land where if they are lucky, as it recedes they end up back in the river. The unlucky ones end up in puddles which eventually dry up.

Certain times of the year can really affect the spawning sites.

Would you be able to provide a source on that? In extreme cases it makes sense, but I would have thought generally they wouldn't wash to far up over the banks.

It seems to me that more likely they would hunker under rocks and chill out at the bottom and wait for the weather to pass, chilling out under the banks and so forth.

However I know that during this time of the year, galaxiids such as inanga will use the floods to bring them into plant life where they lay eggs.

Off Stellas New Zealand native fish page

Anyone else wondering what effect floods have on fish in streams?

'Responses of three PIT-tagged native fish species to floods in a small, upland stream in New Zealand'

By AJ McEwan & MK Joy

Abstract:

Floods are an integral part of flowing river systems, yet our understanding of freshwater fish behaviour during floods is limited. In 2008, 67 redfin bullies (Gobiomorphus huttoni), 22 shortjaw kōkopu (Galaxias postvectis) and 29 kōaro (Galaxias brevipinnis) were tagged with passive integrated transponder (PIT) tags and monitored in a 100-m study reach before, during or after three floods. Detection patterns of tagged fish indicated that they may be displaced or may move to areas with large substrates during floods. Two individuals returned to the same locations during multiple floods, suggesting that previous experience may influence refuge selection for some individuals. While small changes in community composition occurred that could be attributed to concurrent habitat changes, overall a remarkable level of persistence of individual fish was observed in the tagged community.

https://www.facebook.com/nznativefish