Silicone to glue air hoses

gligor

Hi all,

I'm just looking to start an aquarium at home (for a first time myself being solely responsible for it).

I used to have an aquarium at home when I was living with my parents, but my dad mostly took care of it. One thing we learned was that the suction cups that hold the air hoses in place never do a good job and the air hoses always end up floating around where you don't want them (especially when trying to clean the aquarium)

One thing that I've been thinking about is using silicone to glue the air hose coming in around the back edge of the aquarium, as well as the bottom of it. This way the hose will always stay in the exact same spot (hidden away so that it doesn't block your view). Do you think this is a good idea? Is it safe? Will the silicon react with the water at all? Are my fishies going to be safe or will this affect the aquarium environment at all?

I am planning to do this first thing, before putting anything else in the aquarium, and I am looking at giving it a week before putting in gravel, plants and water to start the cycle.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks!

If you get aquarium safe silicon it is fine to use in and around the aquarium, You just need to make sure that you give it time to set properly before submerging it in water.

Aquarium safe sill icons will say on the tube that it is aquarium safe.