acropora info

reef

I think kelvin rating over 6500 is only for viewing pleasure.My tank is in the wall and protrudes into the carport come garage.It has clear lite for the roof.I use the natural sunlight during the day and the colour is slightly off white towards the yellow.the coral is not as affective without the blue light. It is awsome from about 9.30am when the sun is just high to send rays in on one corner.At 10.30am the whole tank glows and lights up the lounge like a high powered skylite.There goes half the day agian. :D

My new tank gets a bit of natural sunlight in the mornings for a few hours each day. The corals that get the direct natural sunlight look no different than they did in the tank before that had no natural sunlight.

Either it makes NO difference or my artificial lighting is equal or superior to what it gets from out sun.

Pie

if the sunlight is going through perspex (i.e. a clear roof) 100% of U.V. rays would be absorbed and through glass 50% this could make a difference.

I don't know if Kalvin rating would it is more the spectrum that is achieved by running a particular coulour temp isn't it.

I read that it has to be a "blueer" spectrum than the sune because they are normally deeper in water than our tanks are and the water aborbs red and green rays very fast meaning the coral grows under a blue light. I'm sure someone that has done alot of scuba diving and looked up at the sun from a reef could tell us what sort of light comes out

Your mostly right about absorption by the water, when looking up while diving you'll mostly see neptunes window and alot of darkness, around the outside od that.

I saw a few sps corals in raro just snokelling at about 1 meter if that and it was basicallly 6.5k