aqua soil available in nz???

ggry

Daltons is bollocks. :sage: I have not seen ADA soils in NZ.

I remember there was a discussion on here about it a while back and I think the conclusion was that it was banned due to it being imported soil.

Would be nice though but very expensive.

Bad, but to be fair that's from personal experience. It's not a terrible thing to use of you just want to grow plants but if you are going for full planted high tech tank you may as well spend a few $ more.

However I remember Phoenix44 telling me he just used sand and fert balls. So there is proof that you can use whatever you like.

If you have the money or want that assurance you are buying a good product then mid to high end products like ADA, seachem and JBL are money well spent IMO.

thankyou :cofn:

I will research the soil daltons you recommend and decide if it is bollocks.

will it be available today or should I wait until Monday?

Daltons? Is available at the likes of Bunnings, Palmers and Kings Plant Barn in Auckland. It works very well. I used it for years - only problem is that if you stir it up it gets int he water column but so do most of the others. I am currently using aqua basis (have been for two years) and fluorite which is way more expensive but nothing so far has led me to think that it is better than Daltons.

Personally I am a big fan of the Dalton's mix :thup: I believe CaribSea is available, and Flourite is often popular. JBL is here too, but I don't see many people use it.

I haven't gotten around to reading about imported soils, http://www.mpi.govt.nz/importing/plants/growing-media/ might be of help (page looks to be under construction atm). I am expecting it to not be an easy task - likely is very specific about organisms potentially arriving in soil. Anything damp/wet/aquatic often ends up going through more procedures than terrestrial. So in short, they are not currently available here and are probably difficult to import. Few businesses are likely to take them on due to the weight of soil (being the major factor in cost), and as being "high up" brands, they'll probably cost more than most are willing to pay. Hard to introduce a new brand and compete with products like Flourite.

I'd love to see a better range of sands available here, personally.