Discovered long fin eel in my turtle pond??!!! HELP!

Fish Frenzy

Hello guys,

So I just got home around 5-6pm and went to check on the turtles which are in an outdoor pond. We have one male and one female RES. I dropped in a few crickets (extras from what bearded dragon didn't eat :3). Wilson, the little male, was eating and then this giANT monster thing comes out from I don't know where. The pond is quite large, it's a T shape and around 4x4metres and there's lots of lily pads, murky bottom but clear water surface, open space/etc. So then this eel starts "nipping" at wilson's feet. I kinda freaked out and grabbed him, :nilly: I'm not sure if the eel was actually trying to eat his feet or just "playing" but the turtle was under the water and yeah :o Right now the 2 RES are in the other pond (hopefully no eels in there :-? :lol: ) and doing fine. They lived in there before but moved by themselves so I let them go where they want, they stay around. We live rural so no roads/houses where the pond is. :smot: sorry for long story but PLEASE HELP! i don't want the eel to eat the turtles! But i don't want to eat/kill it because it's really cute :3 I fed it some bread :oops: I don't mind if it eats a couple gold fish because we have HEAPS of babies everywhere.

Just adding- I think the eel might have come from one of 3 I had in a tank 3 yrs ago, they were only around 10cm. This one I think is around the length of my arm, around 45-50cm. 1 died the first week, 1 got eaten and 1 escaped, I saw it go around the pond but then it disappeared :oops: May have gotten in there. Thing is it's been 3 yrs and I have NEVER seen any eels in there. Ok thanks any help appreciated!

I heard on the news the other day that long fins are becoming an endangered species. Call DOC and let them know you have one in your pond that you want gone :) - they will put you on to the right department.

They can travel over 1km across grass etc. It's patch has probably dried up and it's gone looking for a water source.