chinese golden algae eaters in community tank-compatibility

BikBok

These have caught my eye for a while now but I'm just not sure how well suited they would be for my community tank. I would love to have one.. I just like their colour and the way they zoom around.

Have been told they can be aggressive towards tank mates, and that they may suck on the sides of larger slower fish.

A friend who is new to fishkeeping and has a fairly new set up has a couple in her tank and all the fish seem to get along peacefully which made me wonder just how aggressive they actually are?

Saw some today and they did seem to be chasing each other a lot but I only want 1!

google gives me mixed results so I thought i'd get some input from you guys!

Who keeps them and with what?

the tankmates would be:

guppies and platy

pearl gourami

honey gold dwarf gourami

otocinclus

kuhli loaches

butterfly pleco

rainbow shark

all living peacefully and with plenty of hidy places (driftwood,tunnels, caves, plants)

My main concern woudl be with the peaceful bottom dwellers (kuhlis and pleco) and maybe the otos.. are they in danger of being bullied by a lone CAE?

As they grow they get more aggressive, not really a normal community type fish. They also grow to nearly a foot long quite fast so need a large tank.

thanks for your reply. My tank is not huge. 200L . I'm gonna have to consider this carefully.

I really want something different to the lot I have right now. Kind of been inspired by my friend setting up her tank ,got me in the mood for something new.

A juvenile electric Blue ram also caught my eye today .. never even considered ram before but I liked what I saw today. my ph might be too high. Its usually a stable ph7.0.

I would personally recommend about a 300L minimum, with good space for their own territory. I'd probably be a bit concerned about it with the otos and kuhlis - it'll eventually grow to be about 6x their size. Ours is a big bully, and fiercely defends its territory. It's better with larger bottom dwellers if possible. I imagine it might compete a bit with the rainbow shark, too. Also worth noting that they eat algae for maybe a couple of months - once larger, they move on to a meater diet (sometimes fish slime coat :lol:) and pretty much reject the algae.

Just checking - what temperature is the tank at? Not sure whether you mean a butterfly pleco or a butterfly loach (hillstream loach) - the loaches tend to prefer cooler waters than the tropical temps of most of the other fish.

If you're after the golden fish with lots of activity, albino corydoras might be an option. Or if you're after the single fish, the golden bristlenose suggested below could be a good option too. Dwarf chain loaches make for excellent active bottom dwellers, but it depends on how well stocked your tank is (don't want /too/ many fish accompanying the same area).

Just checking - what temperature is the tank at? Not sure whether you mean a butterfly pleco or a butterfly loach (hillstream loach) - the loaches tend to prefer cooler waters than the tropical temps of most of the other fish.

thanks. I've now decided a cae not suitable.

my water temp is 25oC

its the butterfly pleco I have,here's a pic of him as a juvenile - not sure if 168 or 052 but i think 168

butterfly%20plec%20L168%20or%20052%20BRACHY.jpg

plecobutterfly20146.jpg

now thinking about a couple of electric blue rams.. but not sure about my pH which si 7.0. I can raise the temp a degree , I'm sure that would be ok for other fish.