Trying Fighters

Billaney

Hi

I have been hoping to breed fighters for a while now but until recently i did not have a female so was pretty stuck, now i do and just noticed she is pretty full with eggs. Heres my problem and hope an OK solution.

What i have done is floated a about 3L plastic Tank/container in my big tank, put in some floating plant and placed my male in there , no heater but its up near the light and hopefully keeping warm with the water its sat in( I'm installed at thermometer to keep and eye on temp). I have then placed the female in a jar and floated that in the 3L tank to encourage him to start nesting, if he does I'll release her to him and let nature take its course.

What I'm concerned with is the female in the jar, As i have been feeding them up with bloodworm and live mozzie lava I'm worried the ammonia build up in the jar, what i thought was use a air hose to siphon out water each morning and afternoon and do water changes that way. If nothing is happening in a couple of days I'll pass and let her back into her own tank.

Will she be ok like that for two days? As much as i would love to try and breed them I'm not going to kill them trying.

All advice gratefully received :D

Thanks

Paul

If you do water changes twice every day, as you say, she should be fine. If you wanted to make less effort you could put her jar underneath the output of the filter (provided it isn't too strong) and have it going in her jar and then overflowing into the tank, so she effectively shares the same water as the rest of the tank.

Let us know how it goes! My males are totally slack with building bubble nests, even though they have one or more females with them. Maybe it's because they're both in community tank type setups and not 'private' ones.

Keep an eye on the bloodworms Paul, only feed what she is going to eat at one sitting, syphon out any excess, live mozzies are fine for nibbling on all day.

Water changes sound ok, keep her jar covered to stop her from jumpimg out, or him in.

Get one of those polystyrene cups, cut it long ways, and float against one side of their container, with the open end to the wall, curved so as to form a cave. If he is ready, he'll use this as a nest building area, keeps the nest tidy, warm, etc.

Alan

u need to make sure the female is ready for breeding as well and not just cos she's full of eggs - she needs to be displaying vertical stripes and when the boy comes near her jar she goes into submission mode - head down tail up.........if none of these signs are showing then u could be in for a fight between the two of them......