Seachem Flourish (or other fertiliser?)

KiwiGal77

After some advice for my new plants please :)

Just wondering if I should buy some Seachem Flourish to help my new plants along? Or is there a better alternative for a good overall fertiliser? Also would the liquid fertiliser help the rooted plants as well, I've read all plants do absorb nutrients through their leaves but rooted ones prefer rich soil?

They are just planted in sand, light is low-med and no CO2. I've got Anubias Nana, Java Fern, Twisted Val, Dwarf Sag, Hygrophila and a couple if young Crypts.

Thanks

For heavy root feeders I recommend either a fertilizer substrate or fertilizer tabs. If the tank's already set up, fertilizer tabs are preferable. You just pop them under the substrate and they're good to go. How much fertilizer and how often you need to dose depends on plant growth, fish population, CO2 etc. You probably only need to dose "Micro nutrients" or "Trace Elements" if you're not dosing CO2. I've found with my fertilizing substrate, I don't have to dose any nutrients in my low-medium light tanks (otherwise I get nasty String algae).

It's all a bit of a dosing game as every tank is unique. I find if I overdose I get string algae - if you underdose you may find deficiencies. Can take a while to find the right balance for your tank :)

For heavy root feeders I recommend either a fertilizer substrate or fertilizer tabs. If the tank's already set up, fertilizer tabs are preferable. You just pop them under the substrate and they're good to go. How much fertilizer and how often you need to dose depends on plant growth, fish population, CO2 etc. You probably only need to dose "Micro nutrients" or "Trace Elements" if you're not dosing CO2. I've found with my fertilizing substrate, I don't have to dose any nutrients in my low-medium light tanks (otherwise I get nasty String algae).

It's all a bit of a dosing game as every tank is unique. I find if I overdose I get string algae - if you underdose you may find deficiencies. Can take a while to find the right balance for your tank :)

My hygro, anubias and java fern seem to be doing fine so far. My dwarf sag and crypts both have dying leaves though and no sign of new growth since planting.

Any idea what might be missing that would affect those two?

If you're looking for a low-tech fertilizer - (a SMALL amount of) Osmocote in the substrate can help; some people like to pop it into gelatin capsules (purchasable off trademe). Otherwise premade root tabs can be found.

could you pls explain bit about osmocot pls