How Much Food?

KiwiGal77

I've got tropical fish flakes for my 2 Platys, and I'm not sure how much to feed them?

I have read that it's "as much as they can eat in 3-5 minutes". Currently giving about 3 medium flakes per fish once a day, which seems like a fair amount for such small fish but they are literally gone on 3 mouthfuls. Should I crumble the flakes up so there's more smaller bits for them so it takes longer, or am I simply not feeding enough?

Also wondering how much more to feed once I add 6 Tetras next month? Double what I would already be feeding the 2 (soon to be 3) Platys?

Starting with less knowing it's safer to underfeed than overfeed, especially as the tank is still cycling, but don't really want to starve the poor guys either.

First thing you need to know - FISH LIE!

They will always claim they are starving and have not been fed for weeks but do not believe them.

Have a look at a pic of basic fish anatomy then look at your fish. Small body right? Now think how much smaller the stomach is inside.

Fish will always go for food as they are opportunistic feeders who gulp down whatever they can as fast as they can as they never know when their next meal will appear.

Crush a couple of flakes in your fingers rather than drop in whole flakes.

Feeding small amounts often is better than larger amounts less often. I think the majority would feed their fish at least once a day (some do it 2x) then fast them one day a week. You need to feed more often if there are fry in the tank.

Until you get the hang of it, try one small flake per fish :wink:

It is better to under-feed than over-feed, especially while the tank is new and cycling. Leftover food will foul the water and the added nutrients will help algae break outs.

Great, thanks for the advice. Will try crushing 1 flake per fish once a day, and ignoring their pleading "I'm starving" eyes.

Next question - I have one fish who's very onto it with the food and spots it straight away, and one (the dominant one) who seems to be a bit slower and is missing out. Have been trying to make sure I drop some right above him, but hard to share it out when feeding such small amounts! Is it ok if he only ends up getting about 1/3 of the amount?

If he is truly the dominant one he will be making sure he is getting enough. It may be that the other one is getting in as fast as he can before the dominant one comes in to take over.

Try dropping a bit in then waiting until the faster one is digging in, then add more for the other one further away.