Koura videos

SeargentSkull

Being an nz native there isn't much info (apart from this forum) your best bet is to look at videos of freshwater crayfish tanks. All you need to do is keep it cold, filtered but not too much flow on the bottom and make plenty of caves and if you want multiple crays plenty of objects to block line of sight.

Can anyone give me the link of a video of setting up a koura tank from scratch

Probably not one available, but most of us can probably help you out -

You're going to want a decent cave like the following images, keep in mind that they will be difficult to clean well without taking them apart - so design one that can fit a siphon in or be easily reassembled.

2015-01-05155133_zpsfb5d0d16.jpg

2015-01-05155127_zps1510e99c.jpg

2015-01-05155124_zps6406368c.jpg

2015-01-05155119_zps5c921adf.jpg

Keep in mind my tank is 160L, this is the minimum cave size you should have in any tank for a medium sized koura.

You're also going to want a reasonable size tank - at least 40L (for one medium sized koura).

Your gravel should be reasonably small (2-5mm) and pH inert, backgrounds aren't necessary, but I have one simply because it looks nice.

Now - once this is all done you'll want ideally a HOB filter or trickle on the top. These are good because they spread oxygen all around the tank - especially important for bottom dwelling fish and invertebrates.

Once the filter has finished cycling you can introduce your koura - keep in mind they do moult, so salting the tank mildly isn't necessarily a good idea.

They are very sensitive to standard dechlorinators so you should have a rain water barrel to buy spring water to carry out your water changes.

Keep an eye on the tanks pH, you don't want it less than 7 - otherwise their exoskeleton may become week.

Now for feeding: you're going to want to have a supply of leaf litter from a local stream - my suggestion is to collect a bunch in one go and freeze it and drop 3-4 leaves in once a week.

You can also feed them vege wafers that people feed catfish, you should also put a protein source - i alternate between beef heart and live worms - live worms are great because they take them out of your hands. Occasionally (like once a week), add a raw almond, this a great calcium source for their exoskeletons and after a few days you can remove it.

Always remove any uneaten food, especially meat, before they rot.