Community fish dying

Gill

Hi I have had a community tank running for around 5 years and although the water parameters remain stable ph around 7.2 -ammonia 0 (very pale yellow )nitrite 0 (pale blue ) Nitrate 0 (yellow ). Temp sits around 25. This year I have kept losing fish recently its been bristlenoses but I have lost lots over the last year no of them appeared distressed just the next day /night I found the odd one dead ... . at the time of finding dead fish I have checked the water and the readings have all been good. There are no signs of red gills,gasping prior death.The fish look normal just DEAD!! The tank is 360L running an Eheim 2217 lots of air stones, several plants. I set up the tank with Daltons aquatic mix... and very fine black grit on the top. Feeding every 2 days with flakes pleco wafers etc and the very occasional blood worm .

Inhabitants are 30 neon's, 6 cardinals, 5 bristlenose , 3 yoyo loaches , 1 gourami ,6 catfish ,3 synodontis. plus a few odds and ends WC s around 25% weekly and i add prime .I am wondering if I need to strip down the tank and replace/remove the Daltons , would that be causing any problems?

Any suggestions

Thanks Gill

It's 26 with no heater on .It all started when the heater got unplugged when we were away in the UK and since then there have been a steady stream of deaths ... I have removed all rocks wood etc on several occasions to check for any hidden corpses ... The plants are mostly crypts.... and Anubias. I am stumped .

Gill

Nitrates are very rarely 0, and can mean one of a few things. One of the most common reasons is the test being performed wrong - which we all have done! The API Nitrates test needs to be done exactly as per instructions or it will give you a reading of 0. Bottle #2 and the Test Tube both need to be shaken for the times given (basically until your arms fall off). It's also good to double check to make sure it's not expired as that will give false results.

Gasping can mean a few things such as

- Bad water conditions (especially Ammonia)

- Too high of temp for the fish (probably not this)

- Low oxygen - sounds like you've been taking measures to increase oxygen levels but at higher temps good surface agitation is needed to oxygenate all the water. You'll also need good flow all around the tank, otherwise you end up with dead spots which allow for the build-up of waste, reduced temperature and reduced oxygen levels. Air stones don't always provide this and sometimes a wavemaker may be preferred.

- Gill issues, so may be worth double checking the gills for any parasites such as flukes.

Nitrates are very rarely 0, and can mean one of a few things. One of the most common reasons is the test being performed wrong - which we all have done! The API Nitrates test needs to be done exactly as per instructions or it will give you a reading of 0. Bottle #2 and the Test Tube both need to be shaken for the times given (basically until your arms fall off). It's also good to double check to make sure it's not expired as that will give false results.

Gasping can mean a few things such as

- Bad water conditions (especially Ammonia)

- Too high of temp for the fish (probably not this)

- Low oxygen - sounds like you've been taking measures to increase oxygen levels but at higher temps good surface agitation is needed to oxygenate all the water. You'll also need good flow all around the tank, otherwise you end up with dead spots which allow for the build-up of waste, reduced temperature and reduced oxygen levels. Air stones don't always provide this and sometimes a wavemaker may be preferred.

- Gill issues, so may be worth double checking the gills for any parasites such as flukes.

Know what you mean about following the instructions and because the nitrate test shows yellow I often re test it to check and it is still yellow not pale nearer to orange really but according to the chart its 0 .The test kit is new. The fish in the community tank don't show any signs of gasping , they appear fine and then they are dead,no visible worms flukes etc.... I will worm the tank to be on the safe side. There is only ever the odd one fish that dies. The surface of the water is moving heaps as the air stones are on full ,the fish love the bubbles....

Thanks for the advice

Gillian