Cleaning Out Pond - A Few Questions

tracytrout

Hi Everyone

I've tried getting rid of the algae in the bathtub in back yard which has White Cloud Mountain Minnows in it but have decided to clean it out completely :o .

I realise this is late to do this as my water lillies are flowering but am wondering if they'll live or die if I carefully take them out, repot and put them in buckets of water until I finish cleaning out the bathtub? Will leave dividing them until early spring next year.

Also wondering if the algae will wreck the plants in garden surrounding the bathtub as I was just going to bucket out the water and sludge and use in garden?

Apart from water lillies I also have a few other pond/marginal plants which are taking over the bathtub as I just planted these in the substrate when I set up.....would these be ok to plant in plastic pots with holes drilled, lined and small stones for anchors then place them around the bathtub at different heights.

Appreciate your help :sage:

I have stopped re-potting mine as they outgrow them anyway. I just use a rock to anchor some of the roots down.

We cleaned out our pond, which had a thick layer of sludge on the bottom. This was thrown on the garden with no ill effects so a bit of algae won't hurt.

Not sure if the lilies will like being re-potted while flowering though. Why not just dump them back in and divide and re-pot after they have finished?

Mine sat on the grass for a day or two before we got them back in the pond and all recovered.