Help, Saltwater Newbie

SeargentSkull

Hi there, never done a saltwater ad would like to start, I'm starting small with a fluval chi nano but bot using its filter. Could someone please give me a full guide as I have never had any advice and have no clue what I'm doing.

11 year old hobbyist

Tanks are

300 litre community tank

Small goldfish tank

In progress native pond

Red eared slider tank

Unless you are severely financially limited I would recommend against a 20L tank.

The cost of getting, for example, a 60L tank vs a 20L tank is usually very little difference.

You will likely be using similar (if not the same) pumps, at lower flow settings. Lighting will only be the biggest factor, if you go for a skimmer (not entirely necessary at these small volumes with regular water changes) they will almost always be oversized at 20L and even still at 60L. Tank itself (assuming second hand) will be practically the same.

A 20L tank will allow you to have 1 fish. A goby or dartfish would be OK for it's entire life, however a clown would quickly outgrow that tank (particularly because it is square and hence as very small linear swimming distance). Corals will be severely limited as most corals will be sensitive to changes in parameters (keeping salinity stable is more difficult in a smaller tank).

Softies will quickly outgrow a 20L tank.

Also with a tiny tank like this, if you have any parameter swings you have much less water to buffer the changes.

Also as well as the FNZAS link you should look online at other resources eg any of these.