How much CO2?

DiverJohn

Tank approximatly 250l

Moderate fish stock, Moderate-heavy planting.

Good Reg set, needle valve & bubble counter but no soleniod, and a fairly dodgy DIY reactor :-? . Will be running 24/7 for a while. Obviosuly will have to keep an eye on PH but any hints on where to start in terms of bubbles per minute??

Thanks

John

• 1 month later...

Hi Heather,

Well my "dodgy " CO2 reactor has been modified to something along the line of what you see on various internet pages... Power head at the top, pumping water thru a chamber filled with media bioballs) to break up the flow of water / CO2 bubbles and help get the CO2 into solution.

I now have a soleinoid valve ( http://www.valves.co.nz ) that works AWSOME. its 240V and is ON when the current is ON. So i bought a "piggy- back" plug and wired it into that. Plugged it into my light timer, then plugged the lights on the back. Works SWEET lights come on, gas comes on.. all with 1 timer and no transformers dropping down to 12 v :)

KH was low on my tank so have raised that up to 4degrees - which is just about ok I think.

So to bubbles per minute.. well I was out of the ball park on that one! More like 1 bubble per second, maybe a bit longer , but yeah really bubbling away, remember my tank size of about 250l. Interesting at the moment as teh ambient temp drops I am having to open the needle valve a wee bit other wise the gas stops

Growth is OK, bubbles (O2)coming off Blue Hygro, Orisi sword & Leopard sword.

Wee bit more algae than I would like but have added a bit more light to see if that helps "burn it off". And NO LFS in Auckland has any Ottocinclus @ the moment. :-?

Having an "issue" with very slightly cloudy water at the mo, and I just cant make it go away, trying to get that really good "polished look" (anybdy help with that one I would appreciate it)

Was adding "leaf Zone" fertilizer but have stopped because i was wondering if it was contributing to the cloudyness?

Anyway, thats the update, hope it helps :D