Show us your Panaques!

David R

Slightly more serious thread now, in an attempt to breathe some life back into the place! I have four L190 Panaque nigrolineatus, and two of them have quite a different "look" from the other two. I'm interested to see what else is out there in the NZ marketplace...

The "thin stripe" look with narrow stripes of light and dark;

Fish #1

IMG_7846Large_zps68701216.jpg

IMG_7362Large_zpsdbdab689.jpg

IMG_6899Large_zps35774ce0.jpg

And the "other" look, more of a green base with wide gaps between the dark lines, that are broken and uneven;

IMG_6804Large_zps6752148b.jpg

IMG_7913Large_zpsf332a385.jpg

Side by side the difference is obvious (open the pic full size).

IMG_7921Large_zpsa0a060e9.jpg

Thoughts? The arrangement of their teeth shows they are certainly L190 (or not L27, at least). The armbrusteri/L27 group seems to be split into many different "types", is P. nigrolineatus equally as varied but nobody bothers differentiating as they're old and boring compared to the hot new L27? Anyone else got anything similar?

very nice royals and I agree the two types do look quite different. My female that I used to have looked like the second type. I would imagine that different waterways have slightly different forms and the two types may be from different regions. Have you seen the Lujan et al's Panaque revision paper? It talks a little bit about colour variation in Panaque nigrolineatus, including a slightly different colour morph from the upper Guaviare River in Colombia.

Individuals from the upper Guaviare River in Colombia with coloration shifting from stripes as juveniles to irregularly shaped light brown to

gray spots on dark brown to black base color as adults. This color morph is common in the ornamental fish trade .....

Have you seen the Lujan et al's Panaque revision paper? It talks a little bit about colour variation in Panaque nigrolineatus, including a slightly different colour morph from the upper Guaviare River in Colombia.

Yes Mats sent me a copy of the paper when I posted about the ID of the Fish #1 of the "other" look about a year ago, I must admit I still haven't got around to reading it completely yet. Better print it off at work some time! The form you mention with "irregularly shaped light brown to gray spots on dark brown to black base color as adults" nearly sounds more like L330? Guess I need to read the paper in full...

I agree completely that while we have some L190s that are nicer than others, I haven't seen any confirmed specimens of L27 here in NZ. As I said to Cam the other day while discussing a wholesaler who is currently offering L191 as L27, L27 turning up in a shipment of L190 would be like finding a genuine Rolex at a fake watch stall...

fishybuisness; 600L would be fine for a L190 or L191 royal, but bear in mind they are slow growing and messy, and won't do well if you're feeding a high protein diet to the other fish in the tank.

I took these pics nearly a year ago to show how much mess four ~20cm royals can make in a week. This is about 2/3 of the sawdust siphoned out of the settling chamber of my sump. I lost about 1/3 over the side of the wool while it was siphoning, then there's the stuff that went thru the settling chamber and into the foam, and the stuff that didn't make it over the overflow! I can't imagine the mess a 2' monster like I posted in the other thread would make...

attachment.php?attachmentid=960644&d=1383094718

attachment.php?attachmentid=960646&d=1383094803

They are a few other big pleco options if you are put of by the mess. If you after a cool but stroppy pleco for your tank then leopard cactus plecos (L114) are another cool option (my avatar is one of my adult females). They are largely carnivorous so they do well on a high protein diet but they do eat a fair few algal wafers as well. However they do have a bit of an atitude. Anyway small ones are on the importers lists at the moment.

If you want a largely vegetarian option with less mess then you could go for a gold nugget or a green or gold phantom. And there is also nothing wrong with a large redspot or goldspot pleco in a tank that size. However all big plecos eat a lot and produce a fair bit of waste.

They are a few other big pleco options if you are put of by the mess. If you after a cool but stroppy pleco for your tank then leopard cactus plecos (L114) are another cool option (my avatar is one of my adult females). They are largely carnivorous so they do well on a high protein diet but they do eat a fair few algal wafers as well. However they do have a bit of an atitude. Anyway small ones are on the importers lists at the moment.

If you want a largely vegetarian option with less mess then you could go for a gold nugget or a green or gold phantom. And there is also nothing wrong with a large redspot or goldspot pleco in a tank that size. However all big plecos eat a lot and produce a fair bit of waste.

I used to have a L114 i loved him, i have been thinking about getting some, but they can be quite agro so do you think i could get away with 3 in a 600l plus a few other plecos

I used to have a L114 i loved him, i have been thinking about getting some, but they can be quite agro so do you think i could get away with 3 in a 600l plus a few other plecos

Three should be fine in your tank, even as adults, but provide plenty of hiding places and line of sight barriers, particularly when they start getting big. The males will grow to over 20cm but the females seem to stay a little smaller (mine are just under 20 cm). If you grow them up together that will help. I introduced a large male a while ago and there were several scraps but they settled down.

Hi David,

the Panaque revision is a really nice paper and once you see pics of a goldline royal (Panaque armbrusteri) its pretty obvious we dont get them here - well at least I haven't seen one here. They are stunning. My big female I used to have wa ssold as a goldline royal but clearly wasn't.

yeah my point on the other form was just to highlight there may be a little going on with royals, i.e. possibly other unrecognised species or forms. Some royals we have here get more of a spotted pattern on their back half when they are large but it doesn't cover the whole body.

I agree completely that while we have some L190s that are nicer than others, I haven't seen any confirmed specimens of L27 here in NZ. As I said to Cam the other day while discussing a wholesaler who is currently offering L191 as L27, L27 turning up in a shipment of L190 would be like finding a genuine Rolex at a fake watch stall...

I agree. A true goldline royal would cost a fair bit more than a L191