Chelle's 350L African Tank

SanityChelle

So I finally moved out of my apartment and within the first week, I went from one tank to three, the biggest of which is a 350L second hand tank that I'll be putting mbuna and synos in. I figured since I've been posting photos on Facebook, I should put them all together in one place as well.

Stocking to be:

• 15 to 20 x Demasoni
    8 to 10 x Electric Yellows
    8 to 10 x Rusty Cichlids
    6 to 8 Synodontis petricola

Filter will be a Nautilus 2700UVC Canister Filter (at the moment I've just got a 1200lph random branded filter that came with the tank to cycle).

Tank came with a cabient and a hood. The glass is quite scratched and the sealing is rather crazy (both inside and out), but seems really solid with no leaks. Previous owner said they kept goldfish in it for seven years before deciding to sell as they were moving.

2014-07-19173526.jpg

Hardscape is about 70kgs approx of volcanic rock, and 25kgs (so far) of aragonite.

2014-08-04195748.jpg

Sorry for the crappy photos, my phone is not the best.

I would go for 2 smaller wavemakers over one bigger one. A wp-40 will more than likely blow your substrate around and create a sandstorm like effect. Also with 2 you can aim the flow into different places to prevent dead spots.

I don't know much about them. Two might be good, as they could be pointed either side of the rocks. So more like a wp-25, or is there other brands that are good?

Hey good to see you starting the project! Looks great so far I love the rocks. Mine have gone dark brown from algae, they started off a pretty silver :( you sourced your fish yet?

Edited to ask... What are the dimensions of that tank? I looks nice and deep.

The dimensions are 1220x460x600, so it actually seems quite skinny when you look at it. It's 12mm glass, so it's crazy heavy to move. Not overly positive where I'll get the fish from. The synos and rustys will probably come from HFF as that's the only place I've seen to have them around here. Hoping to get the yellows and demis from breeders etc so it'll be a bit cheaper.

I found with my 10 yellows they were hiding a lot for the first four weeks until I added the demasoni and trewavasae, the change was pretty much immediate.. They all swim around at every level of the tank and swim to the glass any time someone moves near the tank. Safety in numbers maybe?! Lol

Minor setback in the form of a small leak that was discovered tonight. I've got the water level down to about 100L, and am in the process of organising getting someone around to reseal the entire thing (might as well do it right now rather than down the line).

Just part of getting an older, second hand tank, I guess. Super frustrating though.

Small update in the form of a video. Unfortunately, ageing algae covered silicone + algae eating fish = tiny leaks in the seal.

To make myself happier, I bought some LED lights to play with. And as my luck goes, they've already stopped working...

But where's what they looked like when they were.

http://youtu.be/K5KHv9UNhlU

• 5 weeks later...

A little update with the happy family. 10 rustys, 15 yellows, 25 demis, (possibly one red devil hitchhiker), and 5 syno multis to go in this weekend.

2014-09-19174330.jpg

Sealed the leak as best I could, but as you can see the tank's super scratched, and the corner still dribbles a bit. Just saving to have a replacement tank built at the moment. I've had one rusty holding, but only one baby has made it so far (named Bacon, thanks to NZFK group).

Oh, and also got the Nautilus, which was just a little bit of an upgrade from the filter that came with the tank...

2014-09-06183642.jpg

• 1 month later...

Little update. I now have 8 additions in the form of cuckoo catfish, four about 10cm, and another 4 between 2 and 4cm, the little buggers. I also have just over a dozen rusty fry in a spare tank in the garage, and already another female holding! It's very exciting.

Just finished saving up for a new tank to replace the old one, so I'll be putting an order in for that soon.

Is that overstocking in terms of adult size for in the future, or overstocking as in waste levels? Because I think I've got the latter well covered with the Nautilus, haha. Plus you are suppose to overstock african cichlids to a degree to lower aggression.

As for when all the fish are adults, the point of getting large groups, especially of the demis, is so I can move on the more aggressive ones as they grow. I expect the demi group to end up somewhere between 15 and 20, and the yellows down to 10ish. Which is the original stocking size on the very first post of this thread (just with cuckoos instead syno petricolas).

I'm not upgrading the tank in terms of getting a larger one, just replacing the same one with a new tank, as the current one leaks through worn seals and is very scratched.